[comp.windows.ms] Dos Window Fonts

deisenb@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David I Eisenberg) (06/08/90)

Hi ho, all!  This may be a silly question, but why not....
Is there a way to change the font size of a DOS Window?  As you may notice,
especially in 800x600 mode, DOS-in-a-window is annoyingly tiny.

(My appoligies if it's in the manual, or in HELP... I didn't find it :-) )
Thanks!
-Dave
--
Dave Eisenberg                       SUNY at Stony Brook Computer Science
deisenb@csserv2.ic.sunysb.edu  -or-  deisenbe@sbccvm.bitnet

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) (10/12/90)

Why doesn't MSOFT allow you to change text fonts in the MS-DOS window ? On my
Sun, I can vary the size of the xterm window using smaller or larger
fonts. This
way, I can get many more windows on the system if desired.

-Jaz

| Jack A Zucker	                 {cwjcc,pyramid,decvax,uunet}!jaz@icd.ab.com |
| Allen-Bradley Company, Inc.     or                       ICCGCC::ZUCKER    |
| 747 Alpha Drive
| Highland Hts., OH 44143         phone: (216) 646-4668   FAX: (216)
646-4484 |

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) (10/13/90)

In article <1918@abvax.UUCP> jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) writes:
>Why doesn't MSOFT allow you to change text fonts in the MS-DOS window ? On my
>Sun, I can vary the size of the xterm window using smaller or larger
>fonts. This way, I can get many more windows on the system if desired.

Well, you CAN change the font for all DOS windows.  I don't think you
can change it for just some of them, though.  Anyway, you need to change
the following line in your SYSTEM.INI:

CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40WOA.FON
CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80WOA.FON
EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40WOA.FON
EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON

Of course, you'll need smaller fonts to replace the currently named
fonts - anyone want to create some of these?

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (10/13/90)

WRT changing fonts in a DOS window by changing the CGA40W0A.FON = ...
and other lines, I tried this once and it didn't work. I tried replacing it
with other fixed fonts from the fonts.lzh file downloaded from cica. On
closer inspection, I see that the default files CGA40W0A.fon etc. are only
about 5K long, while those in fonts.lzh are all about 50-60K long. So there
seems to be two different types of fonts...

Anyone succeed in doing this?

Milan
.

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct12.211431.21683@athena.mit.edu> mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) writes:
>WRT changing fonts in a DOS window by changing the CGA40W0A.FON = ...
>and other lines, I tried this once and it didn't work. I tried replacing it
>with other fixed fonts from the fonts.lzh file downloaded from cica. On
>closer inspection, I see that the default files CGA40W0A.fon etc. are only
>about 5K long, while those in fonts.lzh are all about 50-60K long. So there
>seems to be two different types of fonts...
>
>Anyone succeed in doing this?

Yes, I have.  First note that the fonts you use *must* be fixed (not
proportional) space fonts.  Also, even if you change the fonts it often
loads the old ones anyway.  (You can try moving ?GA?0WOA.FON somewhere
where Windows can't find it, and see if it asks for it when you run a
DOS session.  Then you'll know if it's even trying to use your new
fonts.)

For a while I used the courier font.  (It automatically uses the smallest
font in a file containing more than one, but it was still bigger than the
one in EGA80WOA, so I was happy.)  Now I've changed *all* of them to
HERCWOA.FON, which means that when I go into a fifty-line window (which
I do often for editing) I don't get that tiny squished-up font.

Good luck!  This is one of the more finicky sections of Windows.  (And don't
ask MS Tech Support about it... they don't know either.)

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"It doesn't have to work... they'll be paralyzed just from laughing at me."

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (10/13/90)

I seem to remember seeing a program which would go out to your compter's
(display card's?) BIOS, grab all the fonts in ROM, and convert them to .FON
format for just this purpose.  I don't remember where it was, though.
Anybody else seen it?  Anybody want to write it?

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct12.211431.21683@athena.mit.edu> mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) writes:
>WRT changing fonts in a DOS window by changing the CGA40W0A.FON = ...

[text deleted]

>closer inspection, I see that the default files CGA40W0A.fon etc. are only
>about 5K long, while those in fonts.lzh are all about 50-60K long. So there
>seems to be two different types of fonts...

Yup.  The fonts for normal windows use are ANSI character set.  This is
different from the ASCII character set which DOS programs expect.  They're
the same for the first 127 characters, I think, but differ in the highbit
characters (see Appendix B in the Windows User's Guide).

The font files for normal Windows fonts are so much bigger because they
have several sizes of fonts inside each file (normally 8,10,12,14,18,24
point fonts all in one file).  The WOA fonts only have one character set
in each file (256 chars * 16 bytes/char = 4096 bytes, plus a header).

So to replace your WOA fonts, you need other font files which have the
full 256-char ASCII set.  I haven't seen any of these yet.  As soon as I
can get my hands on the SDK, though, I'll write a capture program.  That
is, if Jason can't find the program he saw.  (It should have been on
Compu$erve, but we're poor college students - anyone care to poke around
there for us?)