[comp.windows.ms] WINWORD: Can I do this...

pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (10/12/90)

I have really liked winword but I am going to be upset if it can't
do what I need!

I am going to use print merge and print database information on to
pre-printed forms.  So that means I need to print something at
a specific location relative to the page.   For instance, I may
need the string "hello" printed 3" down and centered.  Then I
need either a field or another string(doesn't matter) printed
1" below and some other stuff 2.5" below.

How can I do this?  The only way I have found to do this is by
exhaustive trial and error.  There is no vertical ruler!  Font
size also changes between fields.  I could easily create the
form in designer or pagemaker but I need databse information in
them !!!!!!  AAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH !

Any ideas?

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@swamp.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

strobl@gmdzi.gmd.de (Wolfgang Strobl) (10/13/90)

pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:

>I have really liked winword but I am going to be upset if it can't
>do what I need!

Me too. In WinWord 1 paragraphs seem to be either on a fixed position
or floating around used space on the page. I don't
find any possibility to start floating text on a certain position.
This makes creation of preformatted letters with a fixed layout
nearly impossible. I really do not understand why how they could
forget such an obviously necessary feature.

My first attempt of a workaround failed miserably because of a bug
in the repainting algorithm in Winword:

In order to move floating text (in this case the body text of a letter)
to a fixed starting position on the page, I created one big empty
paragraph from top of page up to the position where my floating text
should start, and placed all the other stuff (adress, date, letterhead)
on top of this empty paragraph. This works quite well and does excactly
what I wanted. Unfortunately, WinWord draws overlapping paragraphs in
an arbitrary order, so - especially when scrolling backwords - sometimes
my big empty paragraph is drawn last and hides everything below it.
This is a purely on screen phenomenon; on paper everything looks right.

Does anybody know whether this has changed in WinWord 1.1? Or have I
missed something?

Wolfgang Strobl
#include <std.disclaimer.hpp>