[comp.windows.ms] Autoloading programs in Window 3.0

pip@cs.tamu.edu (Philip Rice) (10/14/90)

How can I get programs to run automatically when I boot Windows 3.0.
What I would like is have the clock and a few other small windows programs
on my screen when I boot up.  It is a pain to go to that specific group
and click open that program (clock) and then go to another group to run
a application.  It would save a lot of time to have it done automatically.

Also, if the program could be booted up automatically, would there be any
problems about where it would be put on the screen and how large would it
be.  If I am running clock and then quit and save changes, why won't the
clock just load back where it was?

Thanks for any help with this problem!!

--
    _
   |_).  _              "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K!" --

roper@nwnexus.WA.COM (Michael Roper) (10/15/90)

Philip Rice writes:

> How can I get programs to run automatically when I
> boot Windows 3.0?

Windows' capabilities in this area are limited, but
they are discussed in the Windows User's Guide.

You can have applications automatically run by placing
them on the Run= line of WIN.INI.  Likewise, you can
automatically run applications minimized by placing
them on the Load= line of WIN.INI.

However, Windows has no provision for specifying the
size and position of the applications on the desktop.
A solution is hDC FirstApps.  One of the nine Microapp
utilities included in that Windows 3.0 product is
Worksets, which allows you to name groups of one or
more applications.  A Workset can then be launched at
any time, including Windows startup.  Worksets allows
you to specify both the size and position of the
applications, in addition to several other useful
options.  hDC FirstApps is available through Egghead
at a discount, or may be purchased directly from hDC
(206.885.5550, ask for Customer Service).

Michael Roper
hDC Computer Corporation
Redmond, Washington

r3hjl@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Howard J. Lymor) (10/16/90)

In article <401@nwnexus.WA.COM> roper@nwnexus.UUCP (Michael Roper) writes:
>Philip Rice writes:
>
>> How can I get programs to run automatically when I
>> boot Windows 3.0?
>
>Windows' capabilities in this area are limited, but
>they are discussed in the Windows User's Guide.
>
>You can have applications automatically run by placing
>them on the Run= line of WIN.INI.  Likewise, you can
>automatically run applications minimized by placing
>them on the Load= line of WIN.INI.

 Another program you can try is Layout from cica.cica.indiana.edu through
 anonymous ftp.  Use password anonymous and your id as a password.  It
 will save a desktop configuration (ie, window positions, layouts, etc.).

 However, it will not autoload applications.  But, I believe, also in the
 win3 directory at cica, is another set of shareware utilities that will
 allow you to specify autoloading programs from within windows.

 Lastly, if you start windows from the command line of DOS, you can type the
 name of a program (any where in your path) and windows will load that
 program automatically also.

 Personally, I use the LOAD and RUN command lines in my WIN.INI file to
 specify programs to autoload.  It's easy, all you have to do is put the
 name of the program that you want to run (for com files, I believe you
 have to specify an extension of .com, for exe files, no extension is necessary)
 or, alternately, and also as I do, you can specify a document name.
 Thus, when I have "RUN=Layout00.ewl", windows automatically loads my
 IBM 3270 emulation program because in the "[EXTENSIONS]" section is a line
 like "^ewl = extra.exe .^ewl" which tells windows to load the extra program
 and tells the extra program that whatever the filename is, use it as the document
 to automatically load.

 I use firstapps also, and find them to of great value, but there are some pd/shareware alternatives available.

 BTW, check out cica, it's got some great software for windows!!

 Howard Lymor

| Howard J. Lymor      |  r3hjl@vax1.cc.uakron.edu                |
| My opinions are my   |  Or you can try me through good ole AT&T |
| own, and even I      |                                          |
| disown them!         | (216) 434 - 9157 (after 10PM EST)        |