[comp.windows.ms] Builder

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (WATKINS) (10/13/90)

Well, version 3.0 of Builder has finally been debugged enough so that
it won't be laughed at for being a bad update.( Gosh, I seem to be having
difficulty composing this )

It is a significant improvement over the last version, 2.5, which was not
posted but merely locally distributed.  There is even a revised plea for
users to register their copies and receive free future upgrades.

Well, the zip file is in the uploads directory of cica and available for
download.  If you find any bugs, please report them on Monday, I've put
in the long hours for one day just figuring out why strtok kept leaving
in the newlines even though they were specified as a delimiter...

Anyway... goodnight kids...

ciao
jeff watkins
gt3070b@prism.gatech.edu
or
jwatkins@cadsun7.gatech.edu

--
Jeff Watkins                       jwatkins@cadsun7.gatech.edu
Convergent Media Systems           (404) 315-0105 voice  (404) 315-0231 data

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (10/15/90)

In article <15141@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (WATKINS) writes:
>Well, version 3.0 of Builder has finally been debugged enough so that
>it won't be laughed at for being a bad update.( Gosh, I seem to be having
>difficulty composing this )

Could you give a clue to us clueless people and tell us what Builder does?
(Some of us hate downloading programs at 1200 baud on noisy lines to
discover that it's a program we wouldn't use anyway...)
--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman

gt3070b@prism.gatech.EDU (Jeff Watkins) (10/16/90)

For all of you who are unfamiliar with Builder in any of its incarnations, I
will try to explain what it is, where it came from, and where it is going.

Builder creates an iconic button that launches applications based on command
line arguments.  Builder will launch a single application or a group of
applications depending on the command line arguments.  The new version of
Builder can be launched from win.ini because it has an option that instructs
it to not launch its application when it is loaded initially.  It also can
launch its applications from a file that contains a very limited scripting
ability (to be expanded in future versions).

During the summer I was employed to write a Windows App (yes I am unemployed
now) and wished to do my editing from within windows proper.  The limitation
was that I had to have a DOS cli open and had to type "MAKE -FVCLIP" every
time I wanted to compile and test my application.  I got very annoyed that
there was no make facility for Windows, so I sat down one evening with a
mason jar full Guiness Extra Stout and my computer and I pounded out the
first incarnation of Builder, version 1.0.
Version 1.0 sat in iconic mode and trapped the WM_NCRBUTTONUP message.  When
it got this message it would spawn (not winexec) the application that had
been specified on the command line.  It was not very fancy.  It had none of
the control over the launched applications windows that Builder now has, and
it even had an ugly icon (a b&w hammer clipped out of a graphics app) and
was compiled using the version 2.11 SDK.
Version 2.1 sat at the bottom of the screen and trapped the
WM_NCRBUTTONDBLCLK message.  When it got this message it would winexec the
application that had been specified on the command line.  It was fancier
than version 1.0.  It had a nicer icon.  The builder icon took its name from
the command line (window title), and it changed directories and drives to
the launch point.
Version 3.0 sits at the bottom of the screen still trapping the
WM_NCRBUTTONDBLCLK message.  When it gets this message it winexecs the app
specified on the command line _OR_ it executes the launch script specified
on the command line.  Launch scripts can change drives, change directories,
and launch programs in minimized, maximized and normal windows.  The icon is
now a proper button (actually do not define a class icon and catch the
WM_PAINT message to display the up & down versions of the icon depending on
whether the mouse has been depressed there recently ) and the system menu
supports the build option (aka launch).

Version 4 will show improved scripts.  Support for looping, dialog boxes,
directory maintenance, etc. will be added.  Version 4 will be a script
interpretter for the windows shell which is currently under development.
It will interpret shell scripts _and_ make files.  It has been put on hold
until the shell is complete.

There will be an explaination of what the shell is and how to write programs
that interface with it.  That will have to wait for a while as I am still
busy working out the specs for it.  It is very interesting (at least I think
so).  Among many other properties it will provide a commandline that tty
applications can access, plus a method of spawning tty applications into new
windows that are controlled via commandline options.  The tentative syntax
for spawning the application demo.exe into a new window that begins at
coordinates 50,50 and is 500 by 300 pixels in size would be:

prompt> demo @ win((50,50)(500,300))

The tentative syntax for spawning the application demo.exe and sending its
output to the lpt1 port would be:

prompt> demo > win((lpt1)(5))

This would send the output of demo.exe to a window that acts as a router to
the lpt1 port that has a 5k buffer.

We have yet to work out the exact syntax and any suggestions are welcome.
well, that about closes it for now...

more news later.

Jeff Watkins