[comp.windows.ms] Wincomm can't do vi!

magid@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) (10/16/90)

	When I first saw bug reports of Wincomm I was surprised to see how
quickly they were responded to.  I have tried the program out, and I found a few
bugs of my own so I mailed the person who answered all the posted bug reports.
That was several days, ago and I have not heard a peep.  So I guess I will have
to bitch in public.   Telix has a setting called "destructive backspace"  and
one sets this to off and vi works.  That, is if one types an "h" to move left
the left hand character is no longer erased.   I have not been able to locate an
equivalent for Wincomm, thus I must assume that this is a bug in Wincomm.
Any help will be apprecited because I want to get Wincomm to work and I am sick
of typeing "^L".

Paul

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct16.010437.3359@agate.berkeley.edu> magid@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:

>When I first saw bug reports of Wincomm I was surprised to see how
>quickly they were responded to.  I have tried the program out, and I found a few
>bugs of my own so I mailed the person who answered all the posted bug reports.
>That was several days, ago and I have not heard a peep.  So I guess I will have
>to bitch in public.  Telix has a setting called "destructive backspace"  and
>one sets this to off and vi works.  That, is if one types an "h" to move left
>the left hand character is no longer erased.   I have not been able to locate an
>equivalent for Wincomm, thus I must assume that this is a bug in Wincomm.
>Any help will be apprecited because I want to get Wincomm to work and I am sick
>of typeing "^L".

I doubt that there is any fix with the existing version of wincomm. I
have exactly the same problem with emacs, and have explained the
"desctructive backspace" thing to the wincomm people in great detail,
but no response. Not even a thank you. I have also uncovered other
bugs with the vt102 emulation. When emacs is in auto fill mode, and
you are entering a paragraph in the middle of your document, the
resulting display is horrendous, though the emacs buffer is just fine.

I have deleted wincomm from my hard disk partly because of the
emulation problems, partly because the (unofficial) spokesperson for
the wincomm people posted a message which made me believe that wincomm
will work only for a fixed amount of time, and then stop working after
some date. I don't want to spend time on an application (putting
together screen captures so that they can debug the output takes a
while), get used to it, and then find that it is not going to work.

So for me it is back to good old telix, does everything... Works in
dos mode, but...

kartik

--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct16.010437.3359@agate.berkeley.edu>, magid@headcrash.Berkeley.EDU (Paul Magid) writes:

|> 	When I first saw bug reports of Wincomm I was surprised to see how
|> quickly they were responded to.  I have tried the program out, and I found a few
|> bugs of my own so I mailed the person who answered all the posted bug reports.
|> That was several days, ago and I have not heard a peep.  So I guess I will have
|> to bitch in public.   Telix has a setting called "destructive backspace"  and
|> one sets this to off and vi works.  That, is if one types an "h" to move left
|> the left hand character is no longer erased.   I have not been able to locate an
|> equivalent for Wincomm, thus I must assume that this is a bug in Wincomm.
|> Any help will be apprecited because I want to get Wincomm to work and I am sick
|> of typeing "^L".

Sorry for the delay.  I have been flooded with suggestions and bug reports and
several of them concerned this problem.  I responded to several but I may have
overlooked yours.  The problem is that Wincomm currently assumes a destructive
backspace.  Synappsys is exploring the possible fixes for this problem as to
which would be most convenient.  They will fix the problem, but there are
several other little bugs to be fixed also, so it may take a few days.  Sorry.

Butch