[comp.windows.ms] DOS Apps losing mouse driver in Windows?

b39y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (10/09/90)

Hi - several weeks ago I read about a person who had a similar problem -
If anyone remebers the solution, I'd appreciate a post or mail.

I have a DOS game which requires mouse support (CONQUEST.EXE from
chyde.uwasa.fi) - it runs fine on my 386sx system.  When I load Windows and
create a PIF for the program, and try to run it, I get the message "Mouse not
found" (or loaded or something.)  I get similar response when I choose DOS
Prompt from the Main group and type in the game name.  Is there a way to get
DOS applications mouse access once Windows is running?

I have a Microsoft mouse and am using the Windows mouse driver.  I just
remembered that I have another DOS Mouse-using program which I haven't tried
running from Windows; I'll give that a shot and see if the same problem
happens.  Suggestions?

Dave Rodger  (B39Y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)
Cornell University

JIM@auvm.auvm.edu (Jim McIntosh) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct9.102529.322@vax5.cit.cornell.edu>, b39y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
says:
>I have a DOS game which requires mouse support (CONQUEST.EXE from
>chyde.uwasa.fi) - it runs fine on my 386sx system.  When I load Windows and
>create a PIF for the program, and try to run it, I get the message "Mouse not
>found" (or loaded or something.)  I get similar response when I choose DOS
>Prompt from the Main group and type in the game name.  Is there a way to get
>DOS applications mouse access once Windows is running?

I have found  that I can only  give mouse support to an  application if I
write a bat file which (a) load  the mouse driver and then (b) starts the
application.  This  *only*  works  if   the  application  is  started  in
full-screen mode. If it starts in a window the mouse driver will not load
because it can't find the mouse.
---
Jim McIntosh (JIM@AUVM)
The American University
Washington DC 20016 USA

ballerup@diku.dk (Per G|tterup) (10/16/90)

JIM@auvm.auvm.edu (Jim McIntosh) writes:

[...]

Well, after some problems with color suppression that DID have something to
do with the mouse driver, everything is running fine.

This also includes mouse control in DOS apps. when running full-screen (but
not in a window!). All I did was to load the mouse driver supplied with
Windows 3.0 in my AUTOEXEC.BAT before loading windows. Now whenever I launch
a DOS appl. full-screen the mouse works just fine without exception!

Have you tried that? - Use ONLY the mouse driver supplied with Windows?

It works here!

- I'll be back...

--
| Per Gotterup                        | "The most mercifull thing in the   |
| Student, DIKU (Inst. of Comp. Sci.) | world, I think, is the inability   |