[comp.windows.ms] 32 bit addressing

plogan@mentor.com (Patrick Logan) (10/09/90)

In the "Electronic Engineering Times", October 8, 1990, an article
explains that Caere Corp. is the first to announce a "32-bit wide
Windows 3.0 application, which bypasses the ... normal 16-bit limit."

The article goes on to read "[the] package makes full use of host
80386 or 80486 32-bit processing" and "Microsoft now has 32-bit code
drivers and routines that are available for [WDK] users by request."

My questions:

* What does full use of 32-bit processing mean in this case? Is the
entire application using a flat, 32-bit address space?

* Does it use virtual memory and is that provided via Windows or an
extender product or home grown?

* What compilers, extenders, other tools are required and/or available
for developing 32-bit windows applications? Any preferences for one or
another?

Thanks,
Patrick

P.S. Sorry if this posting is redundant. We have had News problems
lately and I can't guarantee that I've seen all the articles.
--
Patrick Logan, uunet!mntgfx!plogan
Mentor Graphics Corp. 8500 SW Creekside, Beaverton, Oregon 97005-7191

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/11/90)

> In the "Electronic Engineering Times", October 8, 1990, an article
> explains that Caere Corp. is the first to announce a "32-bit wide
> Windows 3.0 application, which bypasses the ... normal 16-bit limit."

Only in some ways. But I haven't time to look into this in details.
There's apparently a section in the Windows 3.0 SDK about 32 bit
application. But looks pretty limited to me.

> The article goes on to read "[the] package makes full use of host
> 80386 or 80486 32-bit processing" and "Microsoft now has 32-bit code
> drivers and routines that are available for [WDK] users by request."

Lot's of bull. I believe 32-bit code drivers are certainly available.
But Windows 3.0 itself is inherently half 16 bit half 32 bit. There
is a 64 K limit on global heap space which translate to running out
of system resource before you run out of memory (especially if you have
more than 8 MB memory).

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

ed@odi.com (Ed Schwalenberg) (10/12/90)

  From: pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim)
  Date: 10 Oct 90 21:00:59 GMT

  Only in some ways. But I haven't time to look into this in details.

You haven't the time to read 15 pages of well-written documentation,
so you waste the time of all of us by spreading misinformation.

  There's apparently a section in the Windows 3.0 SDK about 32 bit
  application. But looks pretty limited to me.

The WINMEM32 DLL is awkward to use, certainly, but I don't think
"pretty limited" is a fair characterization.

  Lot's of bull. I believe 32-bit code drivers are certainly available.
  But Windows 3.0 itself is inherently half 16 bit half 32 bit. There
  is a 64 K limit on global heap space which translate to running out
  of system resource before you run out of memory (especially if you have
  more than 8 MB memory).

Any single GlobalAlloc or Global32Alloc may allocate 64 MEGAbytes.
Lots of bull yourself.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct12.144617.22226@odi.com> ed@odi.com (Ed Schwalenberg) writes:
|In article <18950054@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:
|  Only in some ways. But I haven't time to look into this in details.
|
|You haven't the time to read 15 pages of well-written documentation,
|so you waste the time of all of us by spreading misinformation.

What I can't understand is why Peter seems so clueless as to the
damage he does to his reputation when he posts misinformation.

Or maybe he doesn't care what people think of him.

Well, I don't even bother to read his postings anymore.

--
The Bill of Rights isn't perfect, but it's better than what we have now.

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/14/90)

ed@odi.com (Ed Schwalenberg) writes:

> In article <18950054@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:
>
>   From: pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim)
>   Date: 10 Oct 90 21:00:59 GMT
>
>   Only in some ways. But I haven't time to look into this in details.
>
> You haven't the time to read 15 pages of well-written documentation,
> so you waste the time of all of us by spreading misinformation.

Wait a minute. You don't have to curse me. Have you ever tried to
double as an electronic engineer and a computer programmer and at
the same time read lots of notes ?

If you can't stand some noise, please go and use Microsoft's Online
support.

>   There's apparently a section in the Windows 3.0 SDK about 32 bit
>   application. But looks pretty limited to me.
>
> The WINMEM32 DLL is awkward to use, certainly, but I don't think
> "pretty limited" is a fair characterization.

You might have a point here. Do you like to elaborate with your
experience ?

>   Lot's of bull. I believe 32-bit code drivers are certainly available.
>   But Windows 3.0 itself is inherently half 16 bit half 32 bit. There
>   is a 64 K limit on global heap space which translate to running out
>   of system resource before you run out of memory (especially if you have
>   more than 8 MB memory).
>
> Any single GlobalAlloc or Global32Alloc may allocate 64 MEGAbytes.
> Lots of bull yourself.
> ----------

I still maintain the bull stuff. What I am saying is Windows 3.0 itself
is limited by 64 K segmentation in various ways. And I sure hope they go
full 32 bit flat address in future release. Right now, we have a mix of
bits of everything. Until Windows program go flat 32 bit, the bull stuff
will stick.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

mojo@netcom.UUCP (Morris Jones) (10/17/90)

I thought I would point out that 32-bit addressing using WINMEM32 is
indeed useful and practical, if you're willing to jump through the hoops
required to do it.

I developed the interface between Caere's Omnipage user interface and
the OCR module using WINMEM32.  EE Times mentioned us as being the
"first" to "crack the 32-bit barrier."

Mojo

--
mojo@netcom.UUCP          Site Coordinating Instructor, San Jose South
Morris "Mojo" Jones       Skilled Motorcycling And Rider Training (S.M.A.R.T.)