[comp.windows.ms] Programming in MS Windows..

root@betaal.UUCP (Super user) (10/13/90)

Hello!
This is my first posting on this newsgroup. I would like to
know where can one get programming information under Microsoft Widows.

Thanks in advance,

--Murthy.

rb9a@watt.acc.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) (10/14/90)

In article <439@.betaal.UUCP> root@betaal.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>Hello!
>This is my first posting on this newsgroup. I would like to
>know where can one get programming information under Microsoft Widows.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>--Murthy.

How do you program under a widow? It depends on your past experience.
:-)

Raul

Raul A. Baragiola                               \Internet: raul@virginia.edu
Dept. Nuclear Engnr. and Engnr. Physics          \Phone: (804)-982-2907
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22901 \ Fax: (804)-924-6270

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (10/15/90)

In article <439@.betaal.UUCP> root@betaal.UUCP (Super user) writes:
>Hello!
>This is my first posting on this newsgroup. I would like to
>know where can one get programming information under Microsoft Widows.
>
>Thanks in advance,

I'd recommend looking at some of the magazines (e.g. PC Week, PC Magazine
and Info World, all of which have recent artices) on Windows development.
Another choice would be the Windows shoppers guide from Microsoft.
--
"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell
 as sweet."             William Shakespeare

MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matt Richmond) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct15.033701.23696@chinet.chi.il.us>, patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us
(Patrick Deupree) says:

>Another choice would be the Windows shoppers guide from Microsoft.

Where would we find this guide?  Do you have to order it from Microsoft?
Thanks for any info..

--Matt

dea@hpsesrwd.HP.COM (Bob Dea) (10/17/90)

To program under MS Windows in C you will need to buy a copy of
MS Windows SDK from Microsoft.  The SDK is a set of libraries
that allow you to create MS Windows applications.  You will also
need a copy of Microsoft C Compiler 5.X or 6.0.  The two books
on programming MS Widows is "Programming Windows" by Charles Petzold.
I heard he will be coming out with a Win 3.0 version soon.
"Programmers's Guide to Windows" by David Durant, Geta Calson and
Paul Yau.  Again the current version talks about Win 2.0 only.
The MS Windows SDK contains books on programming under Windows.
I think MS Press also sells these books by themselves.  For hints
in creating Windows applications you can subscribe to the
"Microsoft Systems Journal".  It contains articles on MS Windows
programming.  If you do not want to program in C you have a few
choices 1) Actor (OOP like language), 2) Zortec C++ 2.1 (Requires SDK),
3) Toolbook (Hypercard), 4) others???