[comp.windows.ms] Bad memory caching ?

hst@mh_co2.mh.nl (Klaas Hemstra) (10/15/90)

I have a 386sx noname clone with 1 Meg RAM.
I installed Windows 3 in 386 enhanced mode.
It reeeeeeaaaaaaaal slooooooooooow.
I only have 200K memory free when I start a Dos shell (windowed)
When I installed Windows 3 on a 386 (20 Mhz) with 2 Meg Ram it performed
acceptable.

The 1 Meg really should not be a problem.
If you have virtual memory there should be some kind of intelligent algorithm
which determines which pages aren't used recently and can be swapped out.
When I start a simple program only (like solitaire), the disk is being used
almost constantly, each mouse click will result in disk access etc.
This is rediculous.

Is Windows that stupid it swaps in entire applications or areas or something ?
It can't use all of my 1 Meg when I run a solitaire game, so what is it doing ?

Can somebody give any comments ?

						Klaas Hemstra
Klaas Hemstra  (hst@mh.nl)                   |    /  / ,~~~  ~~/~~
uucp: ..{uunet!}hp4nl!mh.nl!hst              |   /--/  `-,    /  ___  |_/ |__|
Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands      |  /  / ___/    /   ---  | \ |  |
"Most of us mindreaders are atheist, you know" A song for Lya: George Martin

mats@infolog.se (Mats Lordin) (10/16/90)

In article <5573@mhres.mh.nl> hst@mh_co2.mh.nl (Klaas Hemstra) writes:
>I have a 386sx noname clone with 1 Meg RAM.
>I installed Windows 3 in 386 enhanced mode.
>It reeeeeeaaaaaaaal slooooooooooow.
>I only have 200K memory free when I start a Dos shell (windowed)
>When I installed Windows 3 on a 386 (20 Mhz) with 2 Meg Ram it performed
>acceptable.

According to the windows manual windows runs in 386 enhanced mode only if your
system is an -386 (or higher) with at least 2MB of memory (640K of conventional
and 1024K of extended). You could check the mode of which your windows is running
by choosing Help - About Program Manager from the Program Manager window.

However you could force windows to enter -386 enhanced mode with the /3 switch if
your system is configured with less memory, but as you already noticed the system
will run reeeeeaaaaaallll sloooooooow.... Personaly I would recommend you to have
at least 4 MB to run applications in enhanced mode but I'm sorry I can't help
you with the technical aspect of the problem on how and why this is the case.

All thoughts are my own.

Mats Lordin

Infologics AB                     E-mail: mats@infolog.se
P.O. Box 91                       Phone int +46-8-92 20 00
S-191 22 Sollentuna

e4666881@rick.cs.ubc.ca (richard louie) (10/17/90)

     If you'll read the Windows/3 documentation, I believe that
it states somewhere, that 386 enhanced mode should only be used
on a 386DX or SX with a min. of 2MB of RAM.  1 MB of RAM is
not enough to hold all of the information need for multitasking,
applications, and Windows itself.  While its true that any have
decent OS should have a good paging system, decent OSs also
need a good amount of normal RAM to work.  After all, if you
page continuously to a hard drive, you can't expect anything
but slow on a system.

Richard
.