[comp.windows.ms] Size of DOS window

knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) (10/08/90)

I have learned how to run a DOS shell in a window by first creating
a PIF file. Seems to work OK. The trouble is, that when I maximize the
window, it fills the screen completely from left to right (actually it
is slightly too big) but it only covers half the screen from top to
bottom. Is there any way to increase the size of the window in the
y-direction?  Also, when the window is created, it is fairly small. I
would like it to start bigger. I don't see any parameters in the PIF
file to address this.

Thanks in advance,

tom

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (10/09/90)

In article <69220003@hpl-opus.HP.COM> knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:

| I have learned how to run a DOS shell in a window by first creating
| a PIF file. Seems to work OK. The trouble is, that when I maximize the
| window, it fills the screen completely from left to right (actually it
| is slightly too big) but it only covers half the screen from top to
| bottom. Is there any way to increase the size of the window in the
| y-direction?

Not when maximized, only in normal ("Restore"). There is no reason to
do this, anyway, because DOS programs can only show 25 lines, so I
don't know why you want a black band at the bottom of the window.
Waste of space. I like the way Microsoft did it, so that Maximize puts
you directly into 80 x 25 mode. In fact, if your DOS application tries
to switch into 43 or 50 line mode, Windows senses this and adjusts
the size of the window appropriately.

| Also, when the window is created, it is fairly small. I
| would like it to start bigger. I don't see any parameters in the PIF
| file to address this.

For some reason, the way Windows works is that all new windows are (by
default) created in decreasing size, so that if you created 5 new
windows, they would cascade. This turns out to be a pretty stupid
default behavior and only the program itself can override it.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu                                     Silence = Death

jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Extremely Gonzoid) (10/10/90)

In article <69220003@hpl-opus.HP.COM> knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:
>I have learned how to run a DOS shell in a window by first creating
>a PIF file. Seems to work OK. The trouble is, that when I maximize the
>window, it fills the screen completely from left to right (actually it
>is slightly too big) but it only covers half the screen from top to
>bottom. Is there any way to increase the size of the window in the
>y-direction?  Also, when the window is created, it is fairly small. I
>would like it to start bigger. I don't see any parameters in the PIF
>file to address this.

I'm Assuming this only works on the 386? Correct?

 Jan Vilhuber            | Internet: jvilhube@du.edu or jvilhube@[130.253.1.4]
 (The jammin' Bass)      | Bitnet  : jvilhube@DUCAIR
"Drunken Milkman...driving drunk...Family of four,
family no more...milk and blood...blood and milk."  Scatterbrain

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (10/11/90)

knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:

>I have learned how to run a DOS shell in a window by first creating
>a PIF file. Seems to work OK. The trouble is, that when I maximize the
>window, it fills the screen completely from left to right (actually it
>is slightly too big) but it only covers half the screen from top to
>bottom. Is there any way to increase the size of the window in the
>y-direction?  Also, when the window is created, it is fairly small. I
>would like it to start bigger. I don't see any parameters in the PIF
>file to address this.

I believe you need to do an <Alt><SpaceBar>, then Settings, then select
Full Screen.  I don't believe there's a way to specify window size or
location for DOS apps.  Maybe in 3.1 if we beg loud enough...
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (10/12/90)

> I'm Assuming this only works on the 386? Correct?

NOPE ! Also work on 486   :-). But not on 286 or lesser machines. For
those, DOS will only run full screen.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (10/17/90)

!>>I have learned how to run a DOS shell in a window by first creating
!>>a PIF file. Seems to work OK. The trouble is, that when I maximize the
!>>window, it fills the screen completely from left to right (actually it
!>>is slightly too big) but it only covers half the screen from top to
!>>bottom. Is there any way to increase the size of the window in the

I too was not too thrilled by this until I realized that
launched application icons are easily available under the
window!
Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !