[comp.windows.ms] Attention! Wincomm demo available

butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) (10/05/90)

For those of you out there who are still unsatisfied with what you have seen
in the world of Windows communications packages, I would highly recommend that
you download the demo program for Wincomm.  I intend to upload it to
cica.cica.indiana.edu later this afternoon (5-OCT-1990).  I have been beta
testing it and it is by far the most powerful comm program I've seen (windows
or not).
	I posted a couple of articles about it a couple of weeks ago and
mentioned that there would be a pre-release demo copy available soon.  It is
now ready and should be available on cica and Compuserve (mswin group) this
weekend.  The demo is a full-featured version that has a time bomb.  It should
give you enough time to see how really powerful it is.
	There will be two files on cica, Wincomm.Zip and Wincomm.txt.  Download
both and read Wincomm.txt before unzipping Wincomm.zip.  It will give
instructions for how to unzip Wincomm in order to get it up and running as fast
as possible.  There will also be two files on Compuserve, though I'm not sure
what the name of the text file will be.  The explanation should tell you.
	If you didn't see my previous posts, Wincomm is a commercial package
that will retail for $149.  There is an educational discount available as well.
Here is a repost of the features list provided to me by Synappsys (makers of
Wincomm).

                WinComm General Features

* Operation controlled by Session Files that contain all
  operating parameters including Macro programs to run while
  connected
* Context sensitive Help
* Client and Server DDE support
* Compiled macro (script) language with single step debugger
* Macro Recorder with editable source
* A session editor that allows easy generation of the
  Session Files for WinComm's 3 types of communication sessions.
  The editor provides for:
    -Selection of the Session type
        Terminal
        PC to PC File Link
        Phone Book/Autodialer
    -Setting of session variables that relate to the host service
        like Password, User ID, Macro to run on starting Session etc.
    -Communication Port assignment and settings
    -Selection of the Modem type from a list of model numbers with
        the ability to create custom command strings for any modem
    -Selection of terminal emulation and options
    -Capture file naming and control
    -File transfer Protocol selection and control
    -Programming of Function Keys used to send text or run a
        Macro
    -Display screen appearance and operation

                      Terminal Features

* ANSI, BBS ANSI, VT 102, VT 52 Terminal Emulation
* Protocol File Transfer Including ASCII, XMODEM, YMODEM, ZMODEM (w/auto
  detect), Compuserve B Plus and Kermit
* Capture File to save text from On-line session
* Custom Filters to Strip Control Characters and Escape Sequences
  from Terminal Display and Capture File

                  PC to PC File Link Features

* Master program runs under Windows
* Slave program is a TSR DOS program
* Split screen showing directories and files in both computers
* "Show" Filter for wild card selection of files for transfer
* "Except" Filter for deselecting files not wanted in the transfer
* File transfers in either direction
* Alert to warn of possible overwrite of existing files
* Optional generation of Sub-Directories in destination machine
* Diagnostic display during transfer
* Direct serial connection to another PC with up to 115K BPS
  transfer rate
* Modem connection providing these file transfer features at a
  remote location with password security

                 Phone Book/Autodialer

* Multiple telephone directories with name and company name
  Fields
* Automatic redial
* Directory sorting by name or company
* Quick Search by pressing the first letter of name or company

                     Macro Language

* Graphic dialog box editor that generates macro source code
* Utility program to design graphic displays, also generates source code
* Source code can be compiled in a debug mode
* Debug provides single stepping of the executing macro and shows the next
  source statement to execute with the values assigned to its variables
* The macro language has commands for:
    - Changing the menu bar
    - Displaying custom dialog boxes with a large selection of control types
    - "Sending Keys" to other Windows applications
    - Display of user generated metafiles and bitmaps with the ability
      to use them as a graphic menu (hot spots)
    - Windows Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)
    - DOS File Control
    - Text String Manipulation
    - Integer Arithmetic
    - WinComm Session File Control
    - Time and date manipulation
    - Subroutines
    - Chaining to other Macro files with subroutine type return
    - IF ELSE, DO UNTIL, and WHILE statement constructs
    - Context sensitive help for macro programs
WinComm Macros
WinComm macros are programs written in WinComm's macro language that control the
operation of WinComm; monitor and send characters through the communication port
and exchange data with as well as control those applications.  These programs
allow WinComm to be customized to provide a consistent Windows interface for and
on-line service or special communication task.  Simple Windows applications can
be developed using the language to automate not only communications but also
data entry and record- keeping tasks.  WinComm and the macro language also
support Windows Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE). This capability allows WinComm to
exchange data with other Windows applications that support DDE.  WinComm can
also act as a multiple DDE client or server.  Another powerful feature is the
"send keys" statement.  These statements allow WinComm to control, get
information from and pass information to any Windows application (even if it
does not support DDE).  "Batch Programs" can be created using these statements
to automate any repetitive operation.

The simplest macro program might be one that automatically logs on to a
bulletin board or electronic information service.  Several of these macros
are included on the program disks.  This type of macro can also be "Recorded"
using WinComm's Macro|Record menu item.  The operator turns the recorder
on; goes through the log on process once; compiles and names the macro and
then runs it repeatedly to automate the process.  The recorder actually
generates source code which can be edited to refine or change the macro.
WinComm macros can also be written to provide a custom front end for any
on-lineelectronic information service.  To provide this interface, the
WinComm macro programmer would create custom dialog boxes and menu bars
providing a Windows user interface for the service.

At the other end of the spectrum are macros that completely automate complex
communication tasks.  An example of such a task is automated reception of real
time or historical data from a remote PC (with a data acquisition board
installed).  The data would then be displayed or recorded on a local PC.  Using
WinComm's DDE capability, the data could also be passed to EXCEL for creating
a graph.  The graph could be copied to the clipboard, saved as a .WMF file
using the WinComm Utility and redisplayed by WinComm using the graphics
customizing macro statements.  Windows Bit Maps and Metafiles can also be
displayed by the macros.  These graphics can come from any application that
can create a Windows standard .WMF metafile or a .BMP bitmap.  The graphics
can be diagrams, maps or even pictures.  These graphics can have imbedded
buttons or other objects that can be selected from the keyboard or by the
mouse.  In this way, graphical objects can be used as a graphical menu system.

In the data acquisition example above, a process diagram would be displayed.
The operator may select a monitoring point on the diagram by "Pointing" to it
and the macro would poll to receive the requested data.  By using WinComm's
TXPKT and RXPKT (Transmit Packet and Receive Packet) macro statements, this
data could be received error free guaranteeing its accuracy.
One of WinComm's most important features is its ability to allow multi-
processing within a macro.  This is accomplished by the macro programmer using
"event setup statements" that establish the criteria for different tests the
macro must process.  WinComm then assigns values to each "event status
statement" that can be tested by the macro.  These tests alter program flow
based on the event that occurred.  The following is a list of these statements:

Type of Processing         Event Setup Statements        Event Status Statements
Custom Dialog Box          Dialog Box Statement Group    DIALOG?
Custom Menu Bar            ADDBAR, ADDCOMMAND            MENU?
                           ADDMENU, SHOWMENU
Protocol File Transfer     SENDFILE, RECEIVEFILE         XFER?
Packet Transfer            TXPKT, PKTIME, RXPKT          TXPKTSTAT? RXPKT
Graphic Menu System        BITMAP, BUTTON                OBJECT?
                           HOTSPOT
Receive Strings            Prompt Statement Group        PROMPT?
Receive Characters         MACROTRAP                     NEXTCHAR?

In many macro or script languages, program execution suspends until some
action is completed or an event occurs.  In WinComm, the macro continues to
run, thus freeing up the computer to process any event that is signaled by
changes in these status statements.

A typical WinComm macro would set up a custom menu bar, a PROMPT statement
group for an automatic log-on and then go to a "status statement processing
loop" where MENU? and PROMPT? would be tested.  If the MENU? or PROMPT? values
change (which would indicate a menu item had been selected or the
communication port received a string the Prompt statement group was testing
for), the macro would branch to a routine to process the event.

Check it out!

--Butch

simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) (10/06/90)

In article <1990Oct5.151729.1811@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) writes...
>you download the demo program for Wincomm.  I intend to upload it to
>cica.cica.indiana.edu later this afternoon (5-OCT-1990).  I have been beta
>testing it and it is by far the most powerful comm program I've seen (windows
>or not).

>                      Terminal Features
>
>* ANSI, BBS ANSI, VT 102, VT 52 Terminal Emulation

I would not call it "by far the most powerful comm program I've seen".
The very first terminal feature shows that it does not emulate VT300
(which I need), while a simple and trusty C-Kermit 3.0 does.

---------
Leo Simon			simon@pwrvax.enet.dec.com

Who is not liberal when young, does not have a heart.
Who is not conservative when old, does not have a brain.

						-- W. Churchill

autor@sunc1.cs.uiuc.edu (10/07/90)

In article <1990Oct5.151729.1811@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) writes...
>you download the demo program for Wincomm.  I intend to upload it to
>cica.cica.indiana.edu later this afternoon (5-OCT-1990).  I have been beta
>testing it and it is by far the most powerful comm program I've seen (windows
>or not).

I downloaded the wincomm.zip file on Saturday 6 Oct, and a couple of the
files in the .zip archive failed the CRC test.  Install.exe and ak_hi.wmf
both appear to be corrupted.  The rest of the .zip extracted correctly, but
I can't tell how useful everything is, since the install program doesn't
work...  Any suggestions?

Jeff Autor
autor@cs.uiuc.edu

"Whadda ya mean,'you're not hiring'??"

butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) (10/08/90)

In article <15841@shlump.nac.dec.com>, simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) writes:

|> In article <1990Oct5.151729.1811@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) writes...
|> >testing it and it is by far the most powerful comm program I've seen (windows
|> >or not).
|>
|> >                      Terminal Features
|> >
|> >* ANSI, BBS ANSI, VT 102, VT 52 Terminal Emulation
|>
|> I would not call it "by far the most powerful comm program I've seen".
|> The very first terminal feature shows that it does not emulate VT300
|> (which I need), while a simple and trusty C-Kermit 3.0 does.

This is a valid point, and while there are plenty of packages out there that
don't support VT300 (probably a majority), Wincomm is planning on including
some VT300 series support in their next version.  My comment as to the power
did not refer to the terminal emulations which have obvious omissions as much
as to the macro language, the dialog box editor, the keyboard remapper, the
graphic display editor, etc.  There are a whole host of features in Wincomm
which no one else has.  That was my meaning, but I will relay your concern to
Synappsys.

	Butch

simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct8.150839.12292@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu>, butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) writes...
>In article <15841@shlump.nac.dec.com>, simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) writes:

>|> The very first terminal feature shows that it does not emulate VT300
>|> (which I need), while a simple and trusty C-Kermit 3.0 does.
>|>

>This is a valid point, and while there are plenty of packages out there that
>don't support VT300 (probably a majority), Wincomm is planning on including
>some VT300 series support in their next version.

>which no one else has.  That was my meaning, but I will relay your concern to
>Synappsys.

Butch,

While we are at this, there are a couple of other things that the
company could improve on:  Support of an LK250 keyboard (by Digital
Equipment which I use) and 19200 baud.  As far as I am concerned, these
two features would really make the package great.

---------

butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) (10/10/90)

In article <15910@shlump.nac.dec.com>, simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) writes:

|> While we are at this, there are a couple of other things that the
|> company could improve on:  Support of an LK250 keyboard (by Digital
|> Equipment which I use) and 19200 baud.  As far as I am concerned, these
|> two features would really make the package great.

Well, then, we should be in business.  Wincomm does support 19200 baud and
higher.  As far as the LK250 keyboard, if you can get the control codes for it,
you can use the keyboard remapper to create it.  It is one of the more powerful
features of Wincomm.  Simply select the key, enter the code to be sent, and so
forth.  Save the configuration in a file then associate that keyboard mapping
with the session files you want to use it with.  You ought to be able to get
as close to LK250 as is possible on a PC keyboard.  E-mail me if you have
further questions.

	Butch

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct9.210050.29419@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> butch@geo785.gcn.uoknor.edu writes:
>In article <15910@shlump.nac.dec.com>, simon@hpspwr.enet.dec.com (Curiosier and curiosier...) writes:
>|>
>|> While we are at this, there are a couple of other things that the
>|> company could improve on:  Support of an LK250 keyboard (by Digital
>|> Equipment which I use) and 19200 baud.  As far as I am concerned, these
>|> two features would really make the package great.
>
>Well, then, we should be in business.  Wincomm does support 19200 baud and
>higher.  As far as the LK250 keyboard, if you can get the control codes for it,
>you can use the keyboard remapper to create it.  It is one of the more powerful
>features of Wincomm.  Simply select the key, enter the code to be sent, and so
>forth.  Save the configuration in a file then associate that keyboard mapping
>with the session files you want to use it with.  You ought to be able to get
>as close to LK250 as is possible on a PC keyboard.  E-mail me if you have
>further questions.
>
>	Butch

Not necessarily true.
Since WinComm does not allow for mapping of <f1>, <f10> or the <NumLock>
keys.
Programs like MS-Kermit allow you to map those keys and therefore
you are able to have a LK250 mapping.

WinComm is still too restrictive in this respect.

As far as the <f10> key goes, it is used to bring you to the Menu
when using the keyboard.  I much prefer programs which bring you to
the menu by using the Alt key by itself.

NumLock isn't used for anything so it should be allowed to be mapped.

And <F1> is used for Help.  This is a standard function.
However, this function should be able to be mapped to any key
or no key by use of a >>HELP<< identifier in the Mapper Utility.

BTW, how do you access the cut and paste capabilities?

Also, the help files themselves are almost useless.  It is clear
that Wincomm's help files were written so as to be useless without
the manuals.  If I had to give this program to my secretaries
and have them be able to get answers to questions via the Help
I would be receiving quite a few calls.  Not that the Help files
provided with Crosstalk for Windows is any better.

I am as critical as I am only because I want to finally see one
Comm Package that can meet all of my needs.

- Jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (10/12/90)

Has anyone gotten wincomm to work right? I am having problems using it with a
Telebit T1000. The problems I am having are described below.

1.) There is no modem configuration for Telebits. I try to make my own "custom"
configuration, but the 2400 and higher speeds use two digit result codes, and
the "edit session" mode does not seem to allow entering two digit result codes,
even though some of the other modem configurstions (Hayes 9600) have two digit
codes in them.

2.) I cannot get a modem connection going. I make a session file, open it, then
"start" it. It initializes the modem fine, dials the number, but immediately
upon finishing dialing, wincomm come back saying "no carrier", even though the
modem itself is still making the connection. I have to shut off the modem to
disconnect since wincomm and the modem are out of sync now.

3.) This is minor, but when I say "start" for a session, it always printd
"connected to modem@300" even though I am using 9600 baud.

Wincomm sounds like a good product (idea wise anyway), but it is useless to
me now because I cannot get it to work. Documentation on solving problems is
non-existent, and help is certain areas is very sparse.

I certainly wouldn't pay money for it in its present condition.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) (10/12/90)

|> 2.) I cannot get a modem connection going. I make a session file, open it, then
|> "start" it. It initializes the modem fine, dials the number, but immediately
|> upon finishing dialing, wincomm come back saying "no carrier", even though the
|> modem itself is still making the connection. I have to shut off the modem to
|> disconnect since wincomm and the modem are out of sync now.

Try checking the "fix baud" checkbox.  This should force Wincomm to work at the
baud you told it to.  The problem with the small boxes is being fixed at this
moment and should be ready soon (hopefully by this weekend).

Please hang on with these problems.  Your help in reporting them is greatly
appreciated and hopefully, should produce a much more stable product on the
market.

	Butch

In article <1990Oct11.194804.30027@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> butch@geo785.gcn.uoknor.edu writes:
>|> 2.) I cannot get a modem connection going. I make a session file, open it, then
[..]
>Please hang on with these problems.  Your help in reporting them is greatly
>appreciated and hopefully, should produce a much more stable product on the
>market.

I guess Wincomm is an example of a *new* way of doing beta testing: dump an
undebugged program on the nets, and let everybody do the beta testing for
free.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

kls@osupyr.mps.ohio-state.edu (Kenneth L. Shellberg) (10/12/90)

In article <1990Oct11.171629.10981@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) writes:

>Has anyone gotten wincomm to work right? I am having problems using it with a
>Telebit T1000. The problems I am having are described below.

and he describes various problems he is having.....

My copy kept trying to log on at 600 - since the result codes for
OK and 600 were the same for Hayes 2400.  So I just changed the
result code for 600 to 4 which seems to be meaningless, but then
I think I can do without the ability to use 600.  I assume that this
can be fixed.

I can't get file/edit session/terminal to find my modified keyboard
mapping file.

Some things I'd like to see:

Implement cut and paste as it is in Terminal and APE.  I don't
want to have to hit pause to hi-light and copy, or to scroll back.

When downloading with Kermit, it should count bytes received rather
than (or as well as) blocks (like Xtalk for Win), and I think Xtalk
uses 1kblocks....Wincomm is slower.

I got wincomm1.zip from cica today (10/11/90), but even though it
unzipped, it doesn't run.  Will ftp another copy tomorrow, so I
can see how the most recent version works.  What I really wish is that
HI-Q will get their Win3 version out - I'm still using a marked Win2
version and I can't get kermit to work at all.

Cheers

Ken Shellberg

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (10/12/90)

Just downloaded the new wincomm1.zip.
Still problem with Wincomm not identifiying itself when in vt102 mode.

I agree that pausing should not be necessar.  As soon as one starts to
block text teh screen should automatically pause and continue when the cut
is complete.

I find that WinComm is very jerky at 2400 baud.

Have not yet tried file transfers.

- jeff (jaltman@ccmail.sunysb.edu)

cab3@engr.uark.edu (Chad A. Bersche) (10/16/90)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) writes:

>Has anyone gotten wincomm to work right? I am having problems using it with a
>Telebit T1000. The problems I am having are described below.

>1.) There is no modem configuration for Telebits. I try to make my own "custom"
>configuration, but the 2400 and higher speeds use two digit result codes, and
>the "edit session" mode does not seem to allow entering two digit result codes,
>even though some of the other modem configurstions (Hayes 9600) have two digit
>codes in them.

I had trouble with mine at first when I tried to use the Hayes compatible
modem.  It seems that the defaults for dialing ATDT was set to ATTD.  It didn't
look right, so I changed it without even trying it the other way.

>2.) I cannot get a modem connection going. I make a session file, open it, then
>"start" it. It initializes the modem fine, dials the number, but immediately
>upon finishing dialing, wincomm come back saying "no carrier", even though the
>modem itself is still making the connection. I have to shut off the modem to
>disconnect since wincomm and the modem are out of sync now.

A friend of mine has also had this identical problem.  I set it up successfully
on my 386/20 (he has a 386/25) on an Avatex 2400 baud modem and have
experienced relatively few problems.  He, owever, has had the exact problem.
It seems that the modem will go ahead and connect fine, but since WinComm
thinks that there was no carrier, he can't establish his session even though
the modem is connected.

>3.) This is minor, but when I say "start" for a session, it always printd
>"connected to modem@300" even though I am using 9600 baud.

I noticed this problem as well on my friends PC, where I have not had the
reported problem.  I personally tried to set up the copy of WinComm that my
friend is using, and due to the very close similarities in our system
configurations, I figured that the same settings I used would work fine on his.
No luck.

>Wincomm sounds like a good product (idea wise anyway), but it is useless to
>me now because I cannot get it to work. Documentation on solving problems is
>non-existent, and help is certain areas is very sparse.

>I certainly wouldn't pay money for it in its present condition.

I'm with you on this one.  I had given it significant consideration for my
Windows communications package, but as the bugs began showing up when I tried
to really USE it hard, I've been discouraged.  Now if the bugs were fixed and
it was an easy setup, I'd consider it again.

cab3@engr.uark.edu  -  Chad A. Bersche  University of Arkansas Fayetteville
Computer Science Engineering
Look, would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

griffin@sequoia.execu.com (Terry Griffin) (10/17/90)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) writes:

>Has anyone gotten wincomm to work right? I am having problems using it with a
>Telebit T1000. The problems I am having are described below.

>1.) There is no modem configuration for Telebits. I try to make my own "custom"
>configuration, but the 2400 and higher speeds use two digit result codes, and
>the "edit session" mode does not seem to allow entering two digit result codes,
>even though some of the other modem configurstions (Hayes 9600) have two digit
>codes in them.

The Telebit codes are different from the Hayes 9600 codes.  I was successful
in getting it to work by initializing with X0 (instead of X4) which forces
only very basic return codes.  I then set all of the speed codes to 0 except
19200 Reliable, which I set to the Connect code (1).  This was necessary
because of the RRING (52) code that the Telebit generates while connecting -
which caused your second problem below.  Even when I was able to set the
19200 REL code to 61 (the Telebit FAST/KERM code), the connection still
failed as you described below.  The only way to supress the RRING code is
to use X0 (I would prefer to use X3).  I also added the S111=10 to the init
string to cause the telebit to do fast Kermit xfers.

>2.) I cannot get a modem connection going. I make a session file, open it, then
>"start" it. It initializes the modem fine, dials the number, but immediately
>upon finishing dialing, wincomm come back saying "no carrier", even though the
>modem itself is still making the connection. I have to shut off the modem to
>disconnect since wincomm and the modem are out of sync now.

Looks like the Wincomm people need to add the ability to ignore return codes
(like the RRING 52) during the connection process.  Anyway, I got the basics
working and was successful at downloading a file using Kermit.

Good Luck.  Terry

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (10/17/90)

In article <26609@sequoia.execu.com> griffin@sequoia.execu.com (Terry Griffin)
writes:
[	lotsa stuff about WinComm failing because it tries to snoop the modem
	return status, and can't be configured for all modems.]

I Hate programs that are too "smart" for their own good.  What's so horrible
about letting the user see the good old 'CONNECT' something status, so that
you have to prevent it from getting to the screen (and fail trying...) ?
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */