[comp.windows.ms] wsprintf

kvss@violet.berkeley.edu (Suresh K. Sastry) (10/09/90)

Recently there was a thread regarding
wsprintf().  While the subject is fresh in
our minds:   Why was wsprintf designed not
to support floating point conversion?  How
can I do floating point printf'ing to strings?
Is it O.K. to use sprintf in this case?

Please help!!!! My application highly
depends on floating point numbers.

Thanks in advance!

Suresh K. Sastry
(415)524-8001

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct9.030948.7602@agate.berkeley.edu> kvss@violet.berkeley.edu (Suresh K. Sastry) writes:
>Recently there was a thread regarding
>wsprintf().  While the subject is fresh in
>our minds:   Why was wsprintf designed not
>to support floating point conversion?  How
>can I do floating point printf'ing to strings?
>Is it O.K. to use sprintf in this case?
>
>Please help!!!! My application highly

It's ok to use sprintf in this case.  The basic idea is that things that are
most likely to be used by lots of apps eventually go into one of the windows
DLLs (GDI, USER, KERNEL, or its dependents.)

Floating point hasn't crossed that line yet.  The only disadvantage is the
runtimes may pull in unnecessary stuff along with the routines you actually
use.

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.