[comp.windows.ms] Amount of Memory for 386SX Running Win3.0

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) (10/12/90)

I was just helping a friend configure Win3.0 to run on his
Zenith 386SX. Boy, is it slooowww... The Zenith is running
at 16MHz and has 1MB of memory installed. I'd like to hear
from others running Win3.0 on an SX: how much memory do you
have installed and does Windows run at an acceptable speed.
My friend's machine seems to be swapping a lot, but, before I
recommend that he go out and fill up his empty memory slots
I'd like to get an idea of how much of an improvement extra
memory will provide. Thanks in advance. (Direct or followup
replies are ok).

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) (10/13/90)

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) writes:

> I was just helping a friend configure Win3.0 to run on his
> Zenith 386SX. Boy, is it slooowww... The Zenith is running
> at 16MHz and has 1MB of memory installed. I'd like to hear
> from others running Win3.0 on an SX: how much memory do you
> have installed and does Windows run at an acceptable speed.
> My friend's machine seems to be swapping a lot, but, before I
> recommend that he go out and fill up his empty memory slots
> I'd like to get an idea of how much of an improvement extra
> memory will provide. Thanks in advance. (Direct or followup
> replies are ok).

Adding just 1 meg of memory will make a huge difference. So will running in
standard mode instead of enhanced (WIN/S) but you will lose the 386
advantages. Another suggestion which no one seems to think about is running
in a lower resolution. Most of our machines are 12mhz ATs with 2 megs and a
Hercules monochrome display and the speed is fine. Since you are normally
just printing to a B&W printer it's fine, except it doesn't look as nice.

But I would say, yes, you will definately notice a big difference by adding
memory.

ernst_witter@eva.slu.se (10/18/90)

run Win3.0, the only useful information I can give is my set up,
(I'm not an expert) and saying that this does work (at speed).
I have 386SX with a total of 5Mb (0 Wait state, setting it to 1
will slow things down appreciably). In the config.sys himem is
loaded after which comes Smartdrive at 1024/768 (768 is the value
Windows recommended during SetUp). I run Windows in enhanced
mode, and typically have 3-4 quite large programs loaded (WP51,
Reflex, QPro, and sometimes SAS) and often also the Norton
Commander (still much easier and faster to use than File
Manager). All of these larger programs typically require at least
400Kb conventiol memory to run, and may (and also do) use EMS or
XMS. Access to EMS and XMS memory is regulated through their pif
file settings. As long as I stick to no more than 3 large applications
switching between them (using a Hot Key combination) is instantaneous. More
applications than that make switching a bit slower, especially if the
application is in graphic mode as things have to be swapped to and from
disk (using a permanent swap file). All applications work at what seems
to be about normal speed compared when run 'normally' from DOS (ie without
Windows) as long as I set their run mode to EXCLUSIVE in their Pif files.
Having them run in non-exclusive mode with one or two background tasks, will
slow the foreground program down to about the speed of my old XT, the
programs in the background run even slower then. This speed is however
sometimes quite adequate for things like communications or simple Word
processing, so that a number crunching program can then be active in the
background (exclusive means nothing is active in background).
Another thing to remember with the Pif files is the monitoring of the
Video ports, these should be off whenever possible (always with the programs
I use) as monitoring of ports does definitely slow things down to a crawl.

Does this help? (all this info and more about memory vs speed can be foud in
the Windows manual).

Ernst Witter

steve@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Steve Lasich) (10/18/90)

SLVQC@CUNYVM (Salvatore Saieva) writes:

> I was just helping a friend configure Win3.0 to run on his
> Zenith 386SX. Boy, is it slooowww... The Zenith is running
> at 16MHz and has 1MB of memory installed. I'd like to hear
> from others running Win3.0 on an SX: how much memory do you
> have installed and does Windows run at an acceptable speed.

"Acceptable speed" is very subjective.  Especially where Windows is
concerned.  Two megs of RAM makes Windows tolerable.  Barely.

What I found is that the Zenith COMPRESS utility did more to speed up
Windows than I would have thought possible.  I did a side-by-side
comparison of Windows on a Zenith 386SX (16 MHz) and a Zenith 386/20MHz.
Both machines had two megabytes of RAM and 40 meg hard disks and
ran Windows in the enhanced 386 mode.

The SX machine initially ran Windows apps two to three times faster
than the 386/20!  It was unbelieveable.  What happened was I had
reformatted the SX machine with DOS 4.0 for the test.  Then I ran the
Windows install.  This is why Windows ran so quickly.  It was the first
and only thing on the disk.  There was almost zero seek time from the FAT
to C:\WINDOWS.

The 386/20 already had about 25 megs of files on its disk when Windows
3.0 arrived.  The Windows installation placed the new directories out in
the middle of the hard disk.  This made for a LOT of seek time.  With all
of Windows' disk-swapping, this seek time really added up.

My COMPRESS came with Zenith-Microsoft DOS 3.3.  It runs under DOS 4.0 but
is not shipped with 4.0.  The hard disk on my 386/20 was NOT fragmented.
However, the COMPRESS utility reported "9 directories were relocated."

The 386/20 Windows directories were shifted outward, nearer the FAT.  After
the optimization, the 386/20 machine ran Windows applications twice as
fast as the SX machine.

The optimized setup is OK for multi-tasking DOS applications, but with
just two megabytes Toolbook just crawls.  The drive light is on almost
constantly.  Your friend's mileage may vary, but a disk tune-up might
rev up his/her machine.  At least until the new memory comes.