[comp.windows.ms] Disk cache

kpmiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Kent P Miller) (10/17/90)

What's the scoop on disk cache sizes?  Does anyone have a suggestion of
the optimum size cache for a machine with 3Mb? 5Mb?  2Mb?

I read in a magazine to use 256K-512K for 1Meg, but I have no earthly
idea what to use for 2,3, and 5Mb.

Thanks
Kent

e4666881@rick.cs.ubc.ca (richard louie) (10/18/90)

     The question about the best size for a disk cache has
been asked by many people throughout the PC world.
     I would suggest that you read PC Magazine's article on
hardware disk caches afew months back. They have a wonder side
article on software caches and the advantages of having a good
caching program rather than a larger cache.
     In the case that you can't get a hold of the article, I'll
just summarize some of it for you.  The best software cache is
PC-Cache or similar.  The best size of a cache is the just a
little larger than your largest application.  Any smaller and
you'll see some downgrading of your hard drive performance.

Richard

e4666881@rick.cs.ubc.ca

palm@admin.kth.se (Christer Palm) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.001613.17999@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> kpmiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Kent P Miller) writes:
>What's the scoop on disk cache sizes?  Does anyone have a suggestion of
>the optimum size cache for a machine with 3Mb? 5Mb?  2Mb?

Windows manual Chapter 13

Setting the cache size to less than 256K is not effective.

Setting the cache size larger than 1024K might not be the best use of your
system's memory.

Ex: increasing a 256K cache to 512K might improve your system speed by 20 %
    increasing a 1024K cache to 1280 might improve your system speed by 2 %

As i understand it is the optimum size for cache 1024K when using SMARTDRV

/Christer

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (10/18/90)

Christer Palm <palm@admin.kth.se> writes:
> Windows manual Chapter 13
> Setting the cache size to less than 256K is not effective.
> Setting the cache size larger than 1024K might not be the best use of your
> system's memory.

On the other hand ... Table 3.1 in Windows SDK 3.0 Installation Guide shows
the following as recommended (for development, of course):
	Standard mode
		RAM size	SMARTDrive	RAMDrive
		1 MB		0		0
		2 MB		0		0
		3 MB		512		512
		4 MB		1024		1024
		8 MB		2048		3072
		12 MB		4096		4096
	386 Enhanced mode
		RAM size	SMARTDrive	RAMDrive
		1 MB		0		0
		2 MB		0		0
		3 MB		512		0
		4 MB		1024		0
		8 MB		2048		2048
		12 MB		4096		4096

For Windows in purely end-use, no development work, there is probably no
point in having such a large RAMDrive.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]