[comp.windows.ms] Win3.0 Vega V7 VGA-Card Highres Screen Driver searched

fs-info@sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de (c/o Peter Gaal) (10/12/90)

I am looking for a Windows 3.0 driver for my V7 Vega VGA Card, especially
for the 800x600 resolutions. The 1024i driver I got do not properly work
with the Vega VGA.
Tilman M-G

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (10/14/90)

fs-info@sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de (c/o Peter Gaal) writes:

>I am looking for a Windows 3.0 driver for my V7 Vega VGA Card, especially
>for the 800x600 resolutions. The 1024i driver I got do not properly work
>with the Vega VGA.

The drivers are available from Video-7's BBS at 415-656-0503.  Look for
a file named Win3.zip in download area 6 (beta software).  However, I just
got these drivers and cannot get them to work right.  Windows seems to
think some files are missing.

Good luck.--
Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (10/14/90)

In article <Oct.13.19.58.43.1990.20009@dorm.rutgers.edu> medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
>fs-info@sbsvax.cs.uni-sb.de (c/o Peter Gaal) writes:
>

>>I am looking for a Windows 3.0 driver for my V7 Vega VGA Card, especially
>>for the 800x600 resolutions. The 1024i driver I got do not properly work
>>with the Vega VGA.
>
>The drivers are available from Video-7's BBS at 415-656-0503.  Look for
>a file named Win3.zip in download area 6 (beta software).  However, I just
>got these drivers and cannot get them to work right.  Windows seems to
>think some files are missing.

These cards are confusing. I have a VGA-16 from Dell, and a friend
has a VRAM VGA  - both made by Video 7. Both work correctly with
the Fastwrite VGA driver from the Video 7 BBS. You MUST RTFM
that comes with them and do the installation correctly.

Doug McDonald

I wrote:

>These [Video 7] cards are confusing. I have a VGA-16 from Dell, and a friend
>has a VRAM VGA  - both made by Video 7. Both work correctly with
>the Fastwrite VGA driver from the Video 7 BBS. You MUST RTFM
>that comes with them and do the installation correctly.

And I was confusing too. I meant to Read The Fine :-) [**VIDEO 7 **]
Manual that comes with their driver. If you try following the Windows
Manual instructions they indeed won't work!!

And that is probably the problem!!

jseidman@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (James Seidman) (10/14/90)

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>These cards are confusing. I have a VGA-16 from Dell, and a friend
>has a VRAM VGA  - both made by Video 7. Both work correctly with
>the Fastwrite VGA driver from the Video 7 BBS. You MUST RTFM
>that comes with them and do the installation correctly.

Just to eliminate any confusion, the same drivers should work on the
VRAM VGA, 1024i, Fastwrite, and OEM VGA-16's (assuming the card supports
the resolution in question, of course).  Now, the VEGA VGA is another story.
The initial release of the drivers did *not* support the VEGA VGA.  The
new release (in the beta area of the BBS) was supposed to support it, but
we've had bug reports, so we do not recommend it.  However, the next release
of drivers should have this VEGA VGA problem fixed.  (Incidentally, it'll
also include a Windows app to set up the drivers, so you won't have to
RTFM to get it working, nor will you have to edit your system.ini manually.)

--
Jim Seidman, Headland Technology, 46221 Landing Parkway, Fremont CA 94538
UUCP: ames!vsi1!headland!jls                 INTERNET: hsv3!jls@apple.com

jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM (Gerald Hawkins) (10/16/90)

In <9113@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jseidman@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (James Seidman) writes:
>The initial release of the drivers did *not* support the VEGA VGA.  The
>new release (in the beta area of the BBS) was supposed to support it, but
>we've had bug reports, so we do not recommend it.
>Jim Seidman, Headland Technology, 46221 Landing Parkway, Fremont CA 94538
>UUCP: ames!vsi1!headland!jls                 INTERNET: hsv3!jls@apple.com
-
-
Uh oh.  I've been using your drivers for several weeks now without any
difficulties.  The "files missing" seems to be a complaint some people
have about not being able to locate the .GRB files for some reason.  I
used those supplied with WIN3 without a problem.  Only the 7xx by 5xx
mode (I forget the exact resolution) works for me, not 800x600, but I
believe that is a limitation in my monitor, not in the driver.

Jim, please post a notice on the net when the new release of the driver
is available.  Also, to reduce confusion, is Headland able to supply the
correct .GRB files?

jerry  (jerry@starfish.convergent.com)

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (10/19/90)

In article <1801@starfish.Convergent.COM> jerry@starfish.Convergent.COM (Gerald Hawkins) writes:
>In <9113@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jseidman@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (James Seidman) writes:
>>The initial release of the drivers did *not* support the VEGA VGA.  The
>>new release (in the beta area of the BBS) was supposed to support it, but
>>we've had bug reports, so we do not recommend it.

>Uh oh.  I've been using your drivers for several weeks now without any
>difficulties.

Are you running in 386Enh mode?  This is the only mode in which any problems
arise.  In fact, it is not a problem with the drivers, but rather with
the VDD.  The problem only occurs when trying to return from a full-screen
non-windows app to the graphics environment in enhanced mode.  If you're
not trying to do this, you won't see any problem.

>The "files missing" seems to be a complaint some people
>have about not being able to locate the .GRB files for some reason.  I
>used those supplied with WIN3 without a problem.

The files which come with Windows are the correct ones to use.  The
problem might be that Windows isn't installing the necessary files when
the user uses the Windows Setup program and specifies the standard VGA
option.  Either reinstalling it as the "Video Seven VGA with 512K" (even
if it's a VEGA VGA, or a 256K FastWrite), and then installing the drivers,
or by using "expand" to get the files off the disk, should work fine.
(The next driver release should include all the necessary files, instead
of making you get them off the Windows disks.)
--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman