[comp.windows.ms] Still bugs in Wincomm?

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (10/19/90)

I'm using the Oct 11 version of Wincomm and am still having terminal
emulation problems.  Many of the problems seem to stem from the BS being
destructive.  Does anyone know have to make BS non-destructive?

Thanks in advance,
Neil
Neil Weisenfeld           |  University Of Pennsylvania        | weisen@
C.E.T.S. Network Support  |  Computer Science and Engineering  | eniac.seas.
Coordinating Consultant   |  Class of 1991                     | upenn.edu

butch@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (H. G. Walker) (10/19/90)

In article <31379@netnews.upenn.edu>, weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
|> I'm using the Oct 11 version of Wincomm and am still having terminal
|> emulation problems.  Many of the problems seem to stem from the BS being
|> destructive.  Does anyone know have to make BS non-destructive?
|>
|> Thanks in advance,
|> Neil

Neil,
	Download the Oct 17 version (wincomm3) or later.  It has a box in the
Terminal section of the Session Editor which lets you toggle Destructive/Non-
Destructive Backspace.

	Butch

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (10/21/90)

In article <31379@netnews.upenn.edu> weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
>I'm using the Oct 11 version of Wincomm and am still having terminal
>emulation problems.  Many of the problems seem to stem from the BS being
>destructive.  Does anyone know have to make BS non-destructive?

I am still having problems getting it to work at all with Telebit modems. It
has serious problem with result codes. I have verified (using local mode, and
setting the modem initialization manually and issuing the dial string), that
no funny codes are being sent back by the modem except when then the connection
is made and then I get code 14 which is the normal 9600 connect code. Even
though I have set this up as the result code to expect in wincomm, it always
fails immediately after dialing. Someone sent me some info about disabling all
codes except for 1 which it will issue on any connection, but this doesn't work
either.

As far as I am concerned, this product attempts to do so much for you, that it
is no longer useful. If it doesn't already support a particular modem, you are
possibly SOL.

I have noticed something else, the emulation (VT102) has a problem that erases
characters from the screen when using emacs (UNIX system) and paranthesis
matching mode. This mode moves the cursor to a matching open paran when the
closing one is typed. When this action occurs, wincomm erases the characters
on the screen between the parans.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct20.191800.16480@sj.ate.slb.com> poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:
[stuff deleted about problems with telebit modems]

>As far as I am concerned, this product attempts to do so much for you, that it
>is no longer useful. If it doesn't already support a particular modem, you are
>possibly SOL.
>
>I have noticed something else, the emulation (VT102) has a problem that erases
>characters from the screen when using emacs (UNIX system) and paranthesis
>matching mode. This mode moves the cursor to a matching open paran when the
>closing one is typed. When this action occurs, wincomm erases the characters
>on the screen between the parans.

This problem should go away if you download the Oct 19th version and
select non-destructive b.s. on the terminal set-up menu.  There are
still emulation problems, though.  If the author has access to the
`less' program running under UNIX, he should try going backwards in a
file -- it's a real mess.