[comp.windows.ms] Equation editor for windows

rhodes@rogue.llnl.gov (Rhodes, Mark) (10/18/90)

In article <65574@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes...
>*>Does anybody know of a tool for Windows that works in a
>*>fashion similar to MathType on the macintosh.
>
>Well, I'm not sure how MathType works, but there
>is an equation editor in HdC First Apps..

What is HDC First Apps. Where is it (or get it). Maybe you could supplymore info

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (10/18/90)

Does anybody know of a tool for Windows that works in a
fashion similar to MathType on the macintosh.

A windows application that would let me create equations on screen
and copy and paste them into Word for Windows or something like
that.

I know that Word for Windows can do equations but if you have ever
tried to use it for a period of time you would think you had stepped
back in time to the days of eqn in Unix or jumped into TeX territory.
Simple mortals want to write equations, not become code masters!

Any hints or leads or "products in development" would be interesting.
Post or mail.

tj

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (10/19/90)

*>Does anybody know of a tool for Windows that works in a
*>fashion similar to MathType on the macintosh.

Well, I'm not sure how MathType works, but there
is an equation editor in HdC First Apps..

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.143351.22131@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
>Does anybody know of a tool for Windows that works in a
>fashion similar to MathType on the macintosh.

You might try MathType for Windows...:)

I have a demo for it that runs under DOS which I could post to cica if
anyone's interested...if you are, e-mail me.

--
Jason Merrill					jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
jmerrill@hmcvax.bitnet				...uunet!jarthur!jmerrill

hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au (Roger Hadgraft) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.143351.22131@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) writes:
> Does anybody know of a tool for Windows that works in a
> fashion similar to MathType on the macintosh.

MathType is available under Windows 3. It sells in Oz for about $300, so it's
probably less than US$150 in the USA.
--
Roger Hadgraft                  |  hadgraft@civeng.monash.edu.au
Lecturer in Civil Engineering   |

tj@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Terry Jones) (10/19/90)

Wow... I got MANY responses VERY VERY quickly on this so I want to
try to avoid wasted bandwidth on the net!

MathType (which I have used and IS nice on the Mac) is now available
for Windows 3. It saves equations in Encapsulated PostScript form and
Windows Metafile format.

Available from:

Design Science
(213)433-0685

I hope this helps others!!!

Many thanks to all that replied!
tj

ckinsman@eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman - EE major) (10/20/90)

In article <65574@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) writes:
>*>Does anybody know of a tool for Windows that works in a
>*>fashion similar to MathType on the macintosh.
>
>Well, I'm not sure how MathType works, but there
>is an equation editor in HdC First Apps..

Only if you buy IBM's educational package I believe.  I have firstapps that I
purchased and it has no equation editor...

Chris

altman@sbstaff2.cs.sunysb.edu (Jeff Altman) (10/20/90)

Since when does hDc First Apps come with an Equation Editor?

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (10/23/90)

>Since when does hDc First Apps come with an Equation Editor?

Well, mine does.. Of course, its the IBM bundled
version. Is there more than one HdC fist Apps?

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

sdw@hpsad.HP.COM (Steve Warwick) (10/24/90)

Microsoft Word for windows has equation editor built in. Its
good enough for most stuff..