[comp.windows.ms] Ventura can't read MS Word files

knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) (10/16/90)

I cannot seem to pull in text generated by MS Word into Ventura. It says
that the word processor used to generate `file.doc' is in a different
format than the one selected, yet I do indeed have MS Word selected in
Ventura. I have no trouble pulling in a file generated by WordStar
(selecting WordStar in Ventura). Is this a known bug?

thanks,
tom

knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) (10/17/90)

It seems that I was a little vague in my posting. To be more specific,
I am running Ventura 3.0 Gold, Windows version, and WFW 1.0 (1.1
update is on the way). I see no reason why there should be incompat-
ibility between these two for-Windows programs. It even says right on
the box that documents can be read in from WFW. Perhaps I am doing
something wrong (just got the program). The full error message says
that the word-processor format is different than specified *or as
listed in the CHP (file?)*. Perhaps this is a clue. I don't have any
trouble pulling in ASCII or Wordstar files, though....

Thanks,
tom

rfutscher@pbs.org (10/24/90)

In article <69220005@hpl-opus.HP.COM>, knotts@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Tom Knotts) writes:
> It seems that I was a little vague in my posting. To be more specific,
> I am running Ventura 3.0 Gold, Windows version, and WFW 1.0 (1.1
> update is on the way). I see no reason why there should be incompat-
> ibility between these two for-Windows programs. It even says right on
> the box that documents can be read in from WFW. Perhaps I am doing
> something wrong (just got the program). The full error message says
> that the word-processor format is different than specified *or as
> listed in the CHP (file?)*. Perhaps this is a clue. I don't have any
> trouble pulling in ASCII or Wordstar files, though....
>
> Thanks,
> tom
   I UNDERSTAND THAT THE DEFAULD FILE FORMAT FOR WFW IS A FAST SAVE FORMAT.
I THINK THAT WFW APPENDS THE CHANGES TO THE END OF THE DOCUMENT. TRY DOING A
FULL SAVE.