[comp.windows.ms] Digitized Sound on PCs

david@shumv1.ncsu.edu (David Chappell) (10/01/90)

A while back there was a question about sound drivers for windows.
I have developed a method for getting good quality digitized sound
out of the internal speaker on IBM compat. PCs.  Although I don't know
whether it would work well in a Windows app, it will work when called
from the Prog Manager.  If you're interested, send me some mail, and
I'll give you more details, some sample programs, or even a copy of
the source code.
--
David T. Chappell       david@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu
-----------------

aaron@jessica.stanford.edu (Aaron Wallace) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep30.190700.5011@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> david@shumv1.ncsu.edu (David Chappell) writes:
>A while back there was a question about sound drivers for windows.
>I have developed a method for getting good quality digitized sound
>out of the internal speaker on IBM compat. PCs.  Although I don't know
>whether it would work well in a Windows app, it will work when called
>from the Prog Manager.  If you're interested, send me some mail, and
>I'll give you more details, some sample programs, or even a copy of
>the source code.

I've all but finished a digitalized sound driver for Windows 3.0 that puts the
main routines n a .DLL for use by other programs.  I've been trying to get it
to work with Enhanced mode, which it has problems with.  Works fine in real and
standard mode.  I'll post to cica *real soon*--hate 'dem last minute bugs...

Aaron Wallace

david@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (David Chappell) (10/24/90)

In the past year, I have developed a method for playing good quality
digitized sound on ANY PC without the use of extra hardware.  I have
written several programs to use this method, including several general
sound players and a few demos.
  If you are interested in getting copies of my work, it is available via
anonymous ftp.  The site name is  hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu
After logging on, change directory to pub/sound
There you can find the latest copy of any and all availble files.  Note
that initially there will be few files available, but as I update my
programs and write new ones, more files will be available.  All sound
packages will be compressed with PKZIP.
  If you are interested in source code, be patient.  I am presenting
a paper on my work at a conference in Hickory, NC, in early November.
After that, I will post full documentation on how to duplicate my efforts
in your own code.
  If you have any problems or questions, please write.
--
David T. Chappell       david@catt.ncsu.edu