[comp.windows.ms] WinQVT 4.45 Zmodem file transfer problem - Error every 3Kb

ts@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Takahiro Sajima) (10/18/90)

Hello.  This I am new to this group, so please forgive me if I'm
bringing this issue back from the dead.

I am running Windows 3.0 in 386 Enhanced mode on a 386/25 with 4megs of
RAM.  I'm transfering a file from a UNIX host to my using Zmodem
protocol with sz on the UNIX side, and WinQVT 4.45 on the PC side.  The
problem is that every 3 to 4 Kbytes of data, something wrong happens
(eg. WinQVT reports a bad CRC, bad packet or something).  Then it seems
take an eternity to recover from that error before it proceeds with
transfer.  Because of this, the transfer throughput has been pathetic
(on a small file -- ~12Kb, the overall transfer rate was 700bps on a
2400bps line.  On a large file -- ~300Kb, the overall transfer rate
dwindled down to 300bps on the same line).  Any idea on what's going on,
and how to remedy the situation would be greatly appreciated.

/Taka Sajima
ts@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu

		    ( ( ( (((( IN STEREO )))) ) ) )

			    Where available

indra@brahms.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (10/24/90)

ts@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Takahiro Sajima) writes:
>I'm transfering a file from a UNIX host to my using Zmodem
>protocol with sz on the UNIX side, and WinQVT 4.45 on the PC side.  The
>problem is that every 3 to 4 Kbytes of data, something wrong happens
>(eg. WinQVT reports a bad CRC, bad packet or something).  Then it seems
>take an eternity to recover from that error before it proceeds with
>transfer.  Because of this, the transfer throughput has been pathetic
>(on a small file -- ~12Kb, the overall transfer rate was 700bps on a
>2400bps line.  On a large file -- ~300Kb, the overall transfer rate
>dwindled down to 300bps on the same line).  Any idea on what's going on,
>and how to remedy the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, no solution... I have seen similar behavior with WinQVT &
QModem4.1b, however, I see errors every ~17408 bytes.. Bad CRC or
subpacket length errors. I have played with my settings to no avail. I
am running on a 10MHz 286, w/ 16550 UART, Telebit TB+ at 19200 baud
talking to SunOS 4.1 on a Sun 4/490.

Any ideas?

--
iNDRA | indra@amd.com or {ames apple uunet}!amd!indra