[comp.windows.ms] Winword and Pictures

pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (10/23/90)

Thanks for the net help, I realize how to position pictures correctly.
I am using Designer to save tif files and I am including them in winword.

Problem:  I print on a high-res laser printer (Postscript) and the pictures
get printed as a chunky bitmap.  What can I do?

I would like to be able to include a PS picture file in winword and presto.
But this does not work.

How can I get high resolution picture output in winword just like the
nice font precision I get?

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@swamp.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (10/23/90)

In article <17122@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>Thanks for the net help, I realize how to position pictures correctly.
>I am using Designer to save tif files and I am including them in winword.
>
>Problem:  I print on a high-res laser printer (Postscript) and the pictures
>get printed as a chunky bitmap.  What can I do?
>
>I would like to be able to include a PS picture file in winword and presto.
>But this does not work.
>
>How can I get high resolution picture output in winword just like the
>nice font precision I get?

RTM: And I realize that finding this factiod is a bit hard (thats why I leave
out the F). On page 104 of the MS WFW User's Reference is an explaination of
the "Print Field". It even has an example of including a postscript image in
a document. I don't think it really goes into enough detail (rather typical of
the whole book, but then how would MS Press make any money?), so here's my
try.

You should first save your postscript image to a file in native postscript.
Then in WFW insert a "print field" using the Insert-Field command and
choosing Print from the list of fields in the dialog box. Make sure you have
selected View-Field_Codes. You will then see "{print }" in your document.
Place your cursor before the closing curly brace, }, and type the following
arguments: \p pic. Now it looks like "{print \p pic }. Again position your
cursor before the closing curly brace and type two double quotes. Now place
your cursor between the double quotes and do an Insert-File using the native
postscript file you saved. You import it as ascii text.

I am guessing at the "pic" argument. I think this will create a kind of
framed image in the document that you can resize and word will give the
printer its demensions so that the image will draw correctly. In addition
text in the document can be flowed around it. I could be wrong on this part
though. Let me know how it goes.

--
Computer Science Center		Richard Oppenheimer
University of Maryland		oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (office)

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (10/24/90)

In article <17122@rouge.usl.edu>, pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
> I would like to be able to include a PS picture file in winword and presto.

    Have you installed the EPS-Support macro from EXAMPLES.DOC  ?
    After installing  that you should be able to insert and print
    EPS pictures just like TIFFs. You could also use the {  print
    } field to print PS code.

--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi