[comp.windows.ms] Microsoft University classes for Windows developers...

valerier@beaver..UUCP (Valerie Riveiro) (10/24/90)

I'm looking for feedback from people who have attended the Microsoft
University classes on Windows software development.  I've been told that
there are two; the Windows Programming Environment and Windows
Application Programming.  In particular, I'd like to know about the
technical content, how proficient the developer should be before attending
each of the classes, whether the subjects covered were useful and comprehensive,
whether the instructors really knew their stuff, etc.

Thanks in advance.

goodearl@world.std.com (Robert Goodearl) (10/24/90)

In article <5880@rtech.Ingres.COM> valerier@beaver.UUCP (Valerie Riveiro) writes:
>I'm looking for feedback from people who have attended the Microsoft
>University classes on Windows software development.  I've been told that
>there are two; the Windows Programming Environment and Windows
>Application Programming.  In particular, I'd like to know about the
>technical content, how proficient the developer should be before attending
>each of the classes, whether the subjects covered were useful and comprehensive,
>whether the instructors really knew their stuff, etc.

I took the Windows Application Programming course a little more than 2 years
ago.  (I took the more advanced of the 2 courses and I believe that's what it
was called.)  At that time I had extensive C programming experience and only
minimal Windows experience.  (I had spent a month looking at existing Windows
2.0 prototype code, and had made a few minor modifications to it.)

I found the instructor to be very knowledgeable.  In fact, the instructor
was Paul Yao, one of the authors of "Programmer's Guide to Windows."  The
material presented was very comprehensive and the sample material instructive.
I got a lot out of the course, though I would have benefitted from more
windows experience.

At that time, I had also been working as a consultant for 8 years.  Part
of my job was to learn new systems quickly and the develop code for them,
and that probably helped me deal with the large amount of new material.
Your mileage may vary.  ;-)

I started a new job about 6 months ago and considered taking the course again
to get more information about Windows 3.0.  At the time I spoke to the folks
at MSU, they said they were in the process of releasing new course material
to upgrade the courses and to integrate Windows 3.0.  I probably would have
taken the course, but the company gave me a choice between the course and
a conference, so I didn't go.  It's too bad that I couldn't convince the
company of the value of the course, because I believe it would have been
worth my time and their money (even with almost 2 years of intensive Windows
programming experience.)  The access to a knowledgeable instructor, who can
get difficult questions answered by the folks at MS is worth a lot.

I'd be interested in hearing more from someone who has taken the course more
recently.
--
Bob Goodearl -- goodearl@world.std.com

srw@cci632.UUCP (Steve Windsor) (10/25/90)

In article <5880@rtech.Ingres.COM> valerier@beaver.UUCP (Valerie Riveiro) writes:
>I'm looking for feedback from people who have attended the Microsoft
>University classes on Windows software development.  I've been told that
>there are two; the Windows Programming Environment and Windows
>Application Programming.  In particular, I'd like to know about the
>technical content, how proficient the developer should be before attending
>each of the classes, whether the subjects covered were useful and comprehensive,
>whether the instructors really knew their stuff, etc.
>
>Thanks in advance.

I haven't actually taken these two classes yet, but here is some info:

1)  The first class to take is Windows Programming Environment.  Assumes
    DOS, C, and an editor.  Five days, hands on, looks like fairly good
    intro to Windows.

2)  The second class, Windows Application Programming, is an in-depth
    technical class on Windows programming.  Microsoft recommends at least
    six weeks of Windows programming between the two classes.

I know several trainers at MU, and they are top-notch.  Of course, all
classes depend on the teacher-student interaction, materials, etc, but
they take their classes seriously (and at $1500 per class, you should as
well).  There are three training centers around the country:  Boston, Baltimore,and Washington (Redmond).  YOU MUST REGISTER EARLY!!! Probably at this date
all Windows PE classes until 1991 are filled (you can reserve a slot
with a card, and get your company to pay -- you are not charged on your card
unless you come to class and your company has not paid yet).

For more info, call MU at 206-882-8080, get your regional sales rep to
send you a technical packet of info.  Hope this helps.  When I take the
class I will post mine (and others) views if desired by this net.

 Stephen Windsor  srw@cci632.uucp