[comp.windows.ms] Click! Filer corrupts .ini files!

twb@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.w.beattie) (10/26/90)

I FTP'd a copy of CLICK.ZIP from cica.cica.indiana.edu.
This message refers to Click! Filer Version 1.1 from TrogloByte.

When I tried to define push buttons in the Custom Defs I got
corrupted win.ini, progman.ini, etc.
This is extra strange since Click! saves its settings into click.ini.
The problem may be related to my specifying that the program was to be run with
"highlighted source args" and no fixed args (I cleared the field that defaults
to "none").

This occurred on two separate 386 machines in 386 Enhanced mode.
Anyone using it successfully?
Suggestions?

Be careful - Backup at least your *.ini files before running Click!.
You might want to backup *.pif and *.grp while you are at it.
---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com

icsu8246@attila.cs.montana.edu (Crutcher) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct25.203136.19766@cbnewsh.att.com> twb@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.w.beattie) writes:

>I FTP'd a copy of CLICK.ZIP from cica.cica.indiana.edu.

Me, too.

>When I tried to define push buttons in the Custom Defs I got
>corrupted win.ini, progman.ini, etc.

My win.ini file got hammered, too, but I hadn't considered CLICK! as the
culprit.  I didn't notice that I had problems until Screen Peace started
acting up.  I ended up re-installing Windows as a precautionary measure
since I couldn't pinpoint the problem.

I re-read the ABOUT and it says:

    Version 1.1 Beta Test Version, DO NOT DISTRIBUTE

and two lines down:

    May Be Freely Distributed Provided:
              L What did they intend, anyway?

You're not alone on this one.