[comp.windows.ms] PS/2 Model 50 with 8514/A problems

jmm@cs.brown.edu (James M. Meyers) (10/26/90)

I have a model 50 with an 8514/a monitor. However, the monitor is connected
to the VGA port on the motherboard (I do not have an 8514 card). The monitor
seems to work fine for most applications, but has problems with windows.
When Windows is configured for a VGA monitor, some windows look fine
while others are very distorted. When Windows is configured for an 8514, it
hangs (I expected this of course).

Does anyone have an idea about how I can make my 8514 behave like a VGA
monitor?

Thanks in advance.

-- Jim Meyers
   Brown University Computer Science

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (10/26/90)

In article <54412@brunix.UUCP> jmm@cs.brown.edu (James M. Meyers) writes:
>I have a model 50 with an 8514/a monitor. However, the monitor is connected
>to the VGA port on the motherboard (I do not have an 8514 card). The monitor
>seems to work fine for most applications, but has problems with windows.
>When Windows is configured for a VGA monitor, some windows look fine
>while others are very distorted. When Windows is configured for an 8514, it
>hangs (I expected this of course).

Just FYI: the 8514/A is a graphics card, and the 8514 is a monitor.  Not
the other way around.  You configure Windows for the 8514/A, which of
course doesn't work since you don't have one.

>Does anyone have an idea about how I can make my 8514 behave like a VGA
>monitor?

Your 8514 *is* a VGA monitor.  When you say that you configure it for a
VGA monitor, I assume you mean that you're configuring it for a
*VGA card*.  I don't recall off the top of my head if there are
separate selections for the PS/2 motherboard VGA and add-in cards,
but I don't think so.  In other words, it should just work.

Perhaps a little more info, like what you mean by "really distorted,"
would help.  If the image is the right shape, and stable, then it's
probably not your monitor at all.

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"It doesn't have to work... they'll be paralyzed just from laughing at me."