[comp.windows.ms] "cica" How to access ???

dea@hpsesrwd.HP.COM (Bob Dea) (10/23/90)

I have read references to people posting/downloading software
on "cica". I am new to UNIX and would like to know how do
I access "cica" and what do I need to do to download/upload
to "cica".

thanks in advance
Bob Dea

tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi (10/25/90)

In article <4040003@hpsesrwd.HP.COM>, dea@hpsesrwd.HP.COM (Bob Dea) writes:
> I have read references to people posting/downloading software
> on "cica". I am new to UNIX and would like to know how do
> I access "cica" and what do I need to do to download/upload
> to "cica".

    Well try 'man ftp' if you use UNIX. 'cica' is short for
    cica.cica.indiana.edu, an anonymous FTP site (in Indiana I
    guess).

--
                             _________
	Teemu Mottonen	    |         |	internet: tmottonen@cc.helsinki.Fi

mr@ogre (Michael Regoli) (10/27/90)

In <3486.2726b4b3@cc.helsinki.fi> tmottonen@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>In article <4040003@hpsesrwd.HP.COM>, dea@hpsesrwd.HP.COM (Bob Dea) writes:
>> I have read references to people posting/downloading software
>> on "cica". I am new to UNIX and would like to know how do
>> I access "cica" and what do I need to do to download/upload
>> to "cica".

>    Well try 'man ftp' if you use UNIX. 'cica' is short for
>    cica.cica.indiana.edu, an anonymous FTP site (in Indiana I
>    guess).

**
**  README File for Windows Archive at Cica.cica.indiana.edu
**

** Introduction

The Internet site, cica.cica.indiana.edu, has begun collecting
Windows3 tips, utilities, bitmap files (BMP) available via anonymous
ftp.  The archive currently maintains over ten megabytes of Windows-
related files.

Ftp activity at cica is considerable (approximately 600 logins per
day).  Therefore users who access this site are asked to do so during
the non-load hours of 6pm to 7am EST.

You may find the program AUTOFTP, located in pub/unix/autoftp.zoo,
helpful to you in automating ftp file transfers during non-load hours.
This program can be scheduled at non-load hours to download files from
any ftp site.

** Access

Ftp access to cica is quite simple:  type "ftp 129.79.20.22" to your
prompt.  You'll be asked for a login name (type "anonymous").  Enter
anything you like for a password.

** Getting Software:  The INDEX and ls-ltR Files

Go into the win3 directory ("cd pub/pc/win3"), and see what we have by
getting the ASCII file called "INDEX"  (type "get INDEX" to your ftp
prompt).  The file "ls-ltR" is an output from the "ls -ltR" command on
the entire Windows directory structure.  This file presents an ordered
list BY DATE of the files in each subdirectory.

Both the files, "INDEX" and "ls-ltR" are updated daily at 3 AM EST.

** Downloading Software

Software maintained here are in compressed format.  You will need to
have either ZOO, PKUNZIP, PKXARC, or LHARC to work with these files on
the PC end.

Change into individual directories (e.g., "cd fonts") and issue a
"dir" or "ls" command to see the available files.  When you are ready
to download, tell ftp you're transferring binary files (type "tenex"
to your ftp prompt) and you're ready to fetch files ("get filename").

** Uploading Software

Please place all uploads in the pub/pc/win3/uploads subdirectory.  The
same rules apply to uploading as downloading:  if the file is a PC
binary, type "tenex" first before doing a "put filename".

I would like to set some sort of standard file format here so that you
don't need fifteen different file compression utilities to unwrap the
software.  Therefore, please use PKZIP (version 1.1 or later) or ZOO
(version 2.00 or later) to wrap your software.  PKZIP-Self Extracting
Archive Files may be uploaded and will probably be converted to .ZIPs
at a later date.

** Questions?

E-mail to mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (regoli@iubacs.BITNET).

** A Reminder!

Please, PLEASE remember to type "TENEX" to your ftp program *BEFORE*
transferring binary files.  I get so many messages about all the
"corrupt files" we have here when the person didn't type "tenex"
before downloading.

If you are using KERMIT to transfer from your Unix host to your PC,
remember to tell kermit "set file type binary" before beginning the
download.

Thank you!

--
michael regoli