[comp.windows.ms] SDK and Turbo C++

fritsch@threonine.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) (09/11/90)

I recently saw the Win3 SDK on sale here for $289 and have
decided to purchase it. My question is can I use Turbo C++
instead of the MS C compiler? The MS C compiler is over $200
while I can pick up Turbo C++ for under $100.

Thanks.

- Dan Fritsch			(fritsch@cs.unc.edu)

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (09/12/90)

In article <15962@thorin.cs.unc.edu> fritsch@threonine.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) writes:
>I recently saw the Win3 SDK on sale here for $289 and have
>decided to purchase it. My question is can I use Turbo C++
>instead of the MS C compiler? The MS C compiler is over $200
>while I can pick up Turbo C++ for under $100.
>
>Thanks.

NO. Zortech C++ can be used though.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

rogerson@PEDEV.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dale Rogerson) (09/12/90)

In article <15962@thorin.cs.unc.edu> fritsch@threonine.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) writes:
>I recently saw the Win3 SDK on sale here for $289 and have
>decided to purchase it. My question is can I use Turbo C++
>instead of the MS C compiler? The MS C compiler is over $200
>while I can pick up Turbo C++ for under $100.

	No, not now.

	I think that we need to start organizing a frequently asked
	questions file.  Anyboby want to start one or know the way to
	manage it?

	-----Dale
		Rogerson-----

bright@Data-IO.COM (Walter Bright) (09/13/90)

In article <15962@thorin.cs.unc.edu> fritsch@threonine.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) writes:
<I recently saw the Win3 SDK on sale here for $289 and have
<decided to purchase it. My question is can I use Turbo C++
<instead of the MS C compiler?

Zortech C++ works with the Win3 SDK. I presume from your email address
that you are a student. If you call Zortech, ask about our educational
discount. 800-848-8408.

n077dr@tamuts.tamu.edu (Xuejun Yang) (09/14/90)

Dear netters:
I am trying to build a Windows interface to the PC VisionPlus frame grabber so
that the images captured by the frame grabber can be transferred into Windows
for display. I have successfully captured images by issuing window commands.
The problem is as soon as I try to copy the digitized image from the frame
grabber into Windows, I get a "Unrecoverable Application Error, Program
Terminated!". The Window version is 3.0 and the frame grabber library is
image tool by Werner Frei Associates. Everything works fine separately.
My suspicion is that there is a resource conflict(mouse,curser,memory).
Below is the code segment:
 -----------------------Cut Here-------------------------

#include "d:\windev\include\windows.h"
#include "imtool.h"

void SnapInitial(hWnd)
HWND	hWnd;
{
    int     i,j,mode,x,y,dx,dy,value;
    HDC     hDC;
    HDC     hMemoryDC;
    HBITMAP hBitmap;
    HBITMAP hOldBitmap;

    init();
    mode = 1;
    DIGITZ(&mode); /* snaps an image */
    x = 0;
    y = 0;
    dx = 64;
    dy = 64;

    hDC = GetDC(hWnd);
    hMemoryDC = CreateCompatibleDC(hDC);
    hBitmap = CreateCompatibleBitmap(hDC,dx,dy);
    hOldBitmap = SelectObject(hMemoryDC,hBitmap);
    PatBlt(hMemoryDC,x,y,dx,dy,WHITENESS);

      for(i=x;i<dx;i++)
	for(j=x;j<dy;j++)
	{
	  RDPXL(&i,&j,&value); /*Read a pixel*/ /* HERE IS THE PROBLEM*/
	  SetPixel(hMemoryDC,i,j,RGB(value,value,value));
	}
    BitBlt(hDC,x,y,dx,dy,hMemoryDC,0,0,SRCCOPY);
    SelectObject(hMemoryDC,hOldBitmap);
    DeleteDC(hMemoryDC);
    ReleaseDC(hWnd,hDC);
}
 ---------------------Cut Here----------------------
 Am I missing something or doing something wrong? How can I fix it?
 Is there any other way? Please E-mail to me directly. I will summarize
 the response and post it. Any help will be greatly appreciated?

  Sherman

  Email: x0y3510@venus.tamu.edu

  phone: (409) 845 7942
  Fax:	 (409) 847 8553

patrickd@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick Deupree) (09/17/90)

In article <15962@thorin.cs.unc.edu> fritsch@threonine.cs.unc.edu (Dan Fritsch) writes:
>I recently saw the Win3 SDK on sale here for $289 and have
>decided to purchase it. My question is can I use Turbo C++
>instead of the MS C compiler? The MS C compiler is over $200
>while I can pick up Turbo C++ for under $100.

No dice.  You can not currently use  any Turbo product with libraries
designed for Microsoft languages.  This being the case, you can not
use Turbo C++ with the libraries included with the Microsoft SDK.

Patrick
--
"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose by any other name would smell
 as sweet."             William Shakespeare

laned@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Douglas A. Lane) (09/21/90)

	While upgrading my SDK 2.0 I talked with a fellow from MicroSoft
(part of their "Update Fulfillment" staff) and he said that MS either is
or has been delivering a extension to SDK 3.0 that handles non-MS
languages (Borland primarily).  I have ordered one, but it has not arrived
yet.  According to this fellow there is something out there, it might not
work with C++ but will work with Borland's C 2.0.. more as I find out
more.

Doug

pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) (09/25/90)

> 	While upgrading my SDK 2.0 I talked with a fellow from MicroSoft
> (part of their "Update Fulfillment" staff) and he said that MS either is
> or has been delivering a extension to SDK 3.0 that handles non-MS
> languages (Borland primarily).  I have ordered one, but it has not arrived
> yet.  According to this fellow there is something out there, it might not
> work with C++ but will work with Borland's C 2.0.. more as I find out
> more.

Sounds interesting if true. But, given Microsoft's stand, the probablity
of this happening is very close to zero. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Regards,                       ## Life is fast enough as it is ........
Peter Lim.                     ## .... DON'T PUSH IT !!          >>>-------,
                               ########################################### :
E-mail:  plim@hpsgwg.HP.COM     Snail-mail:  Hewlett Packard Singapore,    :
Tel:     (065)-279-2289                      (ICDS, ICS)                   |
Telnet:        520-2289                      1150 Depot Road,           __\@/__
  ... also at: pnl@hpfipnl.HP.COM            Singapore   0410.           SPLAT !

#include <standard_disclaimer.hpp>

In article <18950034@hpfinote.HP.COM> pnl@hpfinote.HP.COM (Peter Lim) writes:
>> 	While upgrading my SDK 2.0 I talked with a fellow from MicroSoft
>> (part of their "Update Fulfillment" staff) and he said that MS either is
>> or has been delivering a extension to SDK 3.0 that handles non-MS
>> languages (Borland primarily).  I have ordered one, but it has not arrived
>> yet.  According to this fellow there is something out there, it might not
>> work with C++ but will work with Borland's C 2.0.. more as I find out
>> more.
>Sounds interesting if true. But, given Microsoft's stand, the probablity
>of this happening is very close to zero. Let me know if I'm wrong.

InforWorld listed some of the tools available for Windows 3.0 development
way back at the SDK introduction.  Among them the Supplemental Compiler
Utilities (SCU) disk id available free to purchasers of Windows 3.0 SDK.
The docs mention that the SCU disk "supports other compilers"  The SCU disk
is available from the Windows hotline: (800)323-3577.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

bright@nazgul.UUCP (Walter Bright) (10/27/90)

In article <27342@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
<InforWorld listed some of the tools available for Windows 3.0 development
<way back at the SDK introduction.  Among them the Supplemental Compiler
<Utilities (SCU) disk id available free to purchasers of Windows 3.0 SDK.
<The docs mention that the SCU disk "supports other compilers"  The SCU disk
<is available from the Windows hotline: (800)323-3577.

The SCU disk also supports Zortech C/C++ for use with the Windows 3 SDK.