[comp.windows.ms] Printer Drivers in 3.0

traiger@oxy.edu (Saul Traiger) (10/25/90)

In article <5491@hsv3.UUCP> jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) writes:
>In article <41345@cci632.UUCP> lab@cci632.UUCP (Len Bauer) writes:
>>  Windows 3.0 was installed for me, by Gateway, when I bought their machine.
>>I am now trying to add my Panasonic printer to Windows, but when I view the
>>list of available printer drivers, I only have the 'Generic/ Text only' driver.
>
>If you didn't get a package or anything, my guess is that Gateway *illegally*
>gave you a copy of the software.  If it were a true retail or OEM version,
>you would have gotten distribution disks, manuals, etc.  If they advertised
>that Windows was bundled with your computer, or if you paid money, I'd call
>them up and harrass them to give you a real, legal copy.  If they don't,
>call Microsoft.  I'm sure their legal department loves to hear about
>commercial piracy like this.
>
>--
>Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
>"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman
>UUCP: ames!vsi1!hsv3!jls	       Internet: hsv3.UUCP!jls@apple.com

The above is an irresponsible posting to this newsgroup. On the basis
of a user's problem, the author jumps to the completely unfounded conclusion
that Gateway 2000 is breaking the law.	Gateway 2000 *legally* bundles
Windows 3.0 with their machines, and they include licenses, manuals, and
distribution disks with their machines.  The conclusion of the author is
characterized by him as a "guess". I'd add that it is a bad guess - worse,
an irresponsible guess.  Perhaps the quote in the .signature is most
revealing. But with freedom comes responsibility.

I have no relationship with, or connection to, Gateway 2000.

traiger@oxy.edu
Saul Traiger
Cognitive Science Program
Occidental College
Los Angeles, CA 90041

lab@cci632.UUCP (Len Bauer) (10/25/90)

  Windows 3.0 was installed for me, by Gateway, when I bought their machine.
I am now trying to add my Panasonic printer to Windows, but when I view the
list of available printer drivers, I only have the 'Generic/ Text only' driver.

  In my documentation and also in a third party book, I am led to believe that
more drivers than the Generic one, are supplied by Windows.  Is this true, or
am I hallucinating?

  Also, is there a particular file that I can reinstall from the distribution
disks to get all of the available drivers back?

  Thanks for any and all help.

~~  Len Bauer                         lab@ccird4.UUCP                        ~~
~~  97 Humboldt St.                   Yankees, Islanders, Jets, Knicks       ~~
~~  Rochester NY. 14609               Mark Martin, and anybody in a FORD!    ~~
~~  716-482-5000  x3105                                                      ~~
~~  Where I'll Be:      Nov.  3       Autoworks 500           Phoenix Az.    ~~
~~                      Feb '91       Speed Weeks             Daytona Fl.    ~~
~~                      Apr '91       Hanes 500               Martinsville Va~~
~~                      Jun '91       Bud 500                 Dover De.      ~~

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (10/26/90)

lab@cci632.UUCP (Len Bauer) writes:

>  Windows 3.0 was installed for me, by Gateway, when I bought their machine.
>I am now trying to add my Panasonic printer to Windows, but when I view the
>list of available printer drivers, I only have the 'Generic/ Text only' driver.

This makes sense.

>  In my documentation and also in a third party book, I am led to believe that
>more drivers than the Generic one, are supplied by Windows.  Is this true, or
>am I hallucinating?

No.  You aren't hallucinating.  Well, maybe you are, but that isn't the
problem.  ;-)

Start the Control Panel.
Start Printers.
Click on "Add Printer >>"

You should see a list of printers in a list box.  If you have the same
version of Win3 I have, you will not see any Panasonic printers listed.
Read your printer manual to see if yours is similar to any that are
listed.  There is the "Unlisted Printer" option at the end of the list.
You may be able to do something with that.  Often times, MS has
additional drivers they'll send you for free.  Give 'em a call at
(206)454-2030 - hit 1, then 1 again.

>  Also, is there a particular file that I can reinstall from the distribution
>disks to get all of the available drivers back?

When you select one of the listed printers, you will be told to insert
the appropriate floppy in drive A:.  The drivers are probably
compressed, so let Windows do the copying for you.

>  Thanks for any and all help.

You're welcome.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (10/26/90)

In article <41345@cci632.UUCP> lab@cci632.UUCP (Len Bauer) writes:

>  Windows 3.0 was installed for me, by Gateway, when I bought their machine.
>I am now trying to add my Panasonic printer to Windows, but when I view the
>list of available printer drivers, I only have the 'Generic/ Text only' driver.
>
>  In my documentation and also in a third party book, I am led to believe that
>more drivers than the Generic one, are supplied by Windows.  Is this true, or
>am I hallucinating?

Either you're not looking in the right place or Gateway fiddled with the
SETUP.INI file.

To install a new printer driver click on the sequence:

  MAIN -> CONTROL PANEL -> PRINTERS

This will bring up the PRINTERS dialog box, which will show  a list titled
"Installed Printers:" which in your case apparently shows only the generic
driver.  Click the box marked "_Add Printer >>" and you should get a list
of all the printers supported by the WIN3 product.  Select the one you
want to add and click the "_Install..." box, insert the proper disk
when requested, and you're done.

If the box titled "_List of Printers:" doesn't show anything but the generic
driver then I suspect that your SETUP.INI file was modified by somebody.
The fastest thing to do is to go back and completely reinstall Windows from
the distribution diskettes.  (I *hope* that Gateway gave you the diskettes;
without them you can't install the other drivers.)

Joe  Morris

dean@truevision.com (Dean Riddlebarger) (10/27/90)

In article <5491@hsv3.UUCP> jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) writes:
>In article <41345@cci632.UUCP> lab@cci632.UUCP (Len Bauer) writes:
>>  Windows 3.0 was installed for me, by Gateway, when I bought their machine.
>>I am now trying to add my Panasonic printer to Windows, but when I view the
>>list of available printer drivers, I only have the 'Generic/ Text only' driver
>
>If you didn't get a package or anything, my guess is that Gateway *illegally*
>gave you a copy of the software.  If it were a true retail or OEM version,
>you would have gotten distribution disks, manuals, etc.  If they advertised
>that Windows was bundled with your computer, or if you paid money, I'd call
>them up and harrass them to give you a real, legal copy.  If they don't,
>call Microsoft.  I'm sure their legal department loves to hear about
>commercial piracy like this.

Now waitaminute here!  I just unpacked my new Gateway 386/33 two days ago, and
yes, Windows was installed and set for boot time.  The distribution disks and
the manual were packed right next to the keyboard box, and it would appear
to me that *everything* is quite above-board.  As a previous posting noted,
you get to add your own printer definitions to Windows after the generic
installation is completed.  [Can't say I've done it myself; Windows goes
the way of the Dodo tonight and ISC UNIX takes its place....  Well, okay,
I'll keep a small partition around to keep my wife happy...:-)]

So let's apply a little caution before we flame a firm for piracy, flag
burning, and other nasty items.  Okay?  Okay.

--
<:>   Dean Riddlebarger                               "The bus came by   <:>
<:>   MIS Manager - Truevision, Inc.                    and I got on,    <:>

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (10/27/90)

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) writes:

>In article <41345@cci632.UUCP> lab@cci632.UUCP (Len Bauer) writes:
>>  Windows 3.0 was installed for me, by Gateway, when I bought their machine.
>>I am now trying to add my Panasonic printer to Windows, but when I view the
>>list of available printer drivers, I only have the 'Generic/ Text only' driver.

>If you didn't get a package or anything, my guess is that Gateway *illegally*
>gave you a copy of the software.  If it were a true retail or OEM version,
>you would have gotten distribution disks, manuals, etc.  If they advertised
>that Windows was bundled with your computer, or if you paid money, I'd call
>them up and harrass them to give you a real, legal copy.  If they don't,
>call Microsoft.  I'm sure their legal department loves to hear about
>commercial piracy like this.

It seems to me you seriously misunderstood the original poster.  I saw
nothing which indicated he did not get manuals or floppies.  Quite the
contrary.

To quote the original article:

>>  In my documentation and also in a third party book...

>>  Also, is there a particular file that I can reinstall from the distribution
>>disks to get all of the available drivers back?

I believe you owe Gateway a big apology for slandering their name like
this.  You should be very sure of your facts when you publicly accuse
someone of theft.  I just hope you haven't done them any serious harm.

I tried to mail this to you but gave up after two failed attempts.
--
Marshall -     During the decade of the Eighties, the price of top quality
French wine has skyrocketed past the $100/bottle mark due to speculation

akm@cs.uoregon.edu (Anant Kartik Mithal) (10/27/90)

In article <124543@linus.mitre.org> jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) writes:
>In article <41345@cci632.UUCP> lab@cci632.UUCP (Len Bauer) writes:
>>  Windows 3.0 was installed for me, by Gateway, when I bought their machine.
>>I am now trying to add my Panasonic printer to Windows, but when I view the
>>list of available printer drivers, I only have the 'Generic/ Text only' driver.
>>  In my documentation and also in a third party book, I am led to believe that
>>more drivers than the Generic one, are supplied by Windows.  Is this true, or
>>am I hallucinating?
>Either you're not looking in the right place or Gateway fiddled with the
>SETUP.INI file.

I had this problem myself a while back when I was trying to compare a
3.5" distribution with a 5.25" distribution. I don't recall having
deleted any file, but after a little bit of frustration, decided to
reinstall windows, which, of course, fixed the problem.

kartik
--
Anant Kartik Mithal                                     akm@cs.uoregon.edu
Network Manager, 					(503)346-4408 (msgs)

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (10/30/90)

I would like to apologize for a posting I made earlier regarding
Gateway Computer.  I had misunderstood a previous posting and, I'll
admit, jumped to conclusions.  I'll make no excuse, except to say
that everyone does something stupid on occassion.  Thanks to those
who pointed out my error to me (as opposed to violently flaming).

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"It doesn't have to work... they'll be paralyzed just from laughing at me."