[comp.windows.ms] MS Flight Simulator and Windows

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (10/27/90)

I am finding that Microsoft Flight Simulator seems to be fundamentally
incompatible with Windows 3.0.  Can anyone shed light on the following two
problems:

1)  Flight simulator seems to be almost completely paralyzed when running full
screen from Windows.  Scenery updates take 5 to 10 seconds each, instead of
several per second when not using Windows.  No amount of playing with PIF
parameters seems to help.

2) After having run Flight Simulator from DOS, it seems to be an extremely poor
idea to run Windows without rebooting first.  Flight Simulator seems to do
something to the computer which does not prevent Windows from running, but
makes it unstable.  Typical problems are "unrecoverable application errors" in
the middle of normally well behaved programs such as Word for Windows, and "not
enough memory" messages when the Help menu from Program Manager shows several
megabytes free.

     I am running on a 386 in 386 enhanced mode.  I have previously noted
strange behaviour of DOS programs when run from DOS after running Flight
Simulator.
--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Brian Hoffman) (10/29/90)

>Can't run FS and windows.

The .txt files that come with win300 specifically warn against trying to run
FS and Windows at the same time.  Why?  I don't know.  Take it on faith
that it can't be done.

|Brian Hoffman								|
|brian@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu						|
|Quote:	"A red sky at night may be a shepard's delight, but you're 	|

tierney@belegost.endor.cs.psu.edu (Michael B. Tierney) (10/29/90)

In article <3657@mindlink.UUCP> a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) writes:
>I am finding that Microsoft Flight Simulator seems to be fundamentally
>incompatible with Windows 3.0.  Can anyone shed light on the following two

     Microsoft itself warns of this incompatiblity.

>1)  Flight simulator seems to be almost completely paralyzed when running full
>screen from Windows.  Scenery updates take 5 to 10 seconds each, instead of
>several per second when not using Windows.  No amount of playing with PIF
>parameters seems to help.

     This is most likely because Windows grabs and processes the screen
interrupts itself instead of allowing the program to directly write to the
screen.  I'm pretty sure what you're noticing is a standard problem when
running any program with > CGA graphics in Windows.

>2) After having run Flight Simulator from DOS, it seems to be an extremely poor
>idea to run Windows without rebooting first.  Flight Simulator seems to do
>something to the computer which does not prevent Windows from running, but
>makes it unstable.  Typical problems are "unrecoverable application errors" in
>the middle of normally well behaved programs such as Word for Windows, and "not
>enough memory" messages when the Help menu from Program Manager shows several
>megabytes free.

     In many cases, I find that Windows does not do any memory housekeeping.
There is often a great deal of memory left sitting after it has been used and
supposedly dropped by processes I was running.  You might want to get the
shareware program CLEAN.ZIP off cica.cica.indiana.edu and run it after Flight
Simulator (or any other program).  It frees up all the memory that would
otherwise be unused (although technically free).  This might allieviate some
of the problems you've been noticing.  Good luck!

--
Michael B. Tierney          "Once a great nation under God, now the Number
tierney@endor.cs.psu.edu     One PORNO DRUNKEN DRUG-INFESTED DEBTOR NATION!"

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (10/30/90)

>1)  Flight simulator seems to be almost completely paralyzed when running full
>screen from Windows.  Scenery updates take 5 to 10 seconds each, instead of

Hehehehe..

The same thing happens when trying to run
it under SoftPC on a Mac.. slow as molasses
in January in Alaska..

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !