[comp.windows.ms] Windows + SCSI + SuperPcKwik Cache + QEMM + SDK = HUGE MESS!!!

c60c-3fz@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (In Sik Rhee) (10/29/90)

Ok, just 2 short days ago, I was very content with my system, which was
running MFM 80mb... I had a delicate balance to my system (4MB memory)...
QEMM 5.1, SuperPcKwik 3.57, SDK, and Windows all coexisted in a delicate
balance, even leaving me with 550K+ DOS, letting me do wonderful things like
run nmake within windows...

The next morning, I got my new Priam 738 (330MB) SCSI drive along with the
Adaptec 1542a controller...  then my life turned into hell.

When I first installed windows, everything was dandy... himem and smartdrv
worked, etc etc...  then I loaded up the QEMM and the SuperPckwik...  then
it happened... windows would not run in 386 enhanced mode... it'd boot up,
give me the blue windows 3.0 screen, and blank out.. just before the silly
icon appeared, I got dumped to dos...

Also, I could not loadhi anything with my QEMM... strange...  so I took
out just QEMM, thinking that was the cause of the problem... wrong... same
thing with just the cache...  something wasnt right - of course, the SCSI
controller, which much of the PC world hasn't gotten to accept still...

So my question to the millions of netters out there is, is there a way to
have something better than smartdrv as a cache on my SCSI and have windows
work?  Also, is there a way to fix the QEMM problem?

System configurations:
386/25 clone (AMI bios)
4MB ram
330 MB Priam 738
Adaptec 1542a SCSI host adapter
Orchid Pro II 1MB
Sony 1304HG
USR 14.4k courier HST
Hercules Compat Graphics adapter
Samsung Monochrome Monitor
SoundBlaster
Bus Mouse

parke@star.enet.dec.com (Bill Parke) (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct29.075111.7414@agate.berkeley.edu>,
c60c-3fz@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (In Sik Rhee) writes:
|> From: c60c-3fz@e260-3f.berkeley.edu (In Sik Rhee)
|> Newsgroups: comp.windows.ms
|> Subject: Windows + SCSI + SuperPcKwik Cache + QEMM + SDK = HUGE MESS!!!
|>
|> Ok, just 2 short days ago, I was very content with my system, which was
|> running MFM 80mb... I had a delicate balance to my system (4MB memory)...
|> QEMM 5.1, SuperPcKwik 3.57, SDK, and Windows all coexisted in a delicate
|> balance, even leaving me with 550K+ DOS, letting me do wonderful things like
|> run nmake within windows...
|>
|> The next morning, I got my new Priam 738 (330MB) SCSI drive along with the
|> Adaptec 1542a controller...  then my life turned into hell.
|>
|> When I first installed windows, everything was dandy... himem and smartdrv
|> worked, etc etc...  then I loaded up the QEMM and the SuperPckwik...  then
|> it happened... windows would not run in 386 enhanced mode... it'd boot up,
|> give me the blue windows 3.0 screen, and blank out.. just before the silly
|> icon appeared, I got dumped to dos...
|>
|> Also, I could not loadhi anything with my QEMM... strange...  so I took
|> out just QEMM, thinking that was the cause of the problem... wrong... same
|> thing with just the cache...  something wasnt right - of course, the SCSI
|> controller, which much of the PC world hasn't gotten to accept still...
|>
|> So my question to the millions of netters out there is, is there a way to
|> have something better than smartdrv as a cache on my SCSI and have windows
|> work?  Also, is there a way to fix the QEMM problem?
|>
|> System configurations:
|> 386/25 clone (AMI bios)
|> 4MB ram
|> 330 MB Priam 738
|> Adaptec 1542a SCSI host adapter
|> Orchid Pro II 1MB
|> Sony 1304HG
|> USR 14.4k courier HST
|> Hercules Compat Graphics adapter
|> Samsung Monochrome Monitor
|> SoundBlaster
|> Bus Mouse

	Boy, does this sound familiar.

	A couple of weeks ago I posted to the net that I had a non displaying
	mouse in windows 3.    In enhanced mode, I don't get dumped to DOS,
	my DOS 3.3 system hangs at the same point.

	The big difference is IT USED TO WORK until I optimized the disk with
	NORTON V5.0 with SMARTDRIVE still installed (but windows was down).
	Anything but windows works, and the mouse is ok.  Win 3 and WFW don't.
	I have reinstalled win3 from the ground up.  I am planning to redelete
	Win3 off my hard disk AND the mouse and see if that helps.

	It seems to be all because I defragged my disk.  (I checked the disk
	after rebooting and the FAT and other areas are fine with or without
	the smartdrive cache).
--
Bill Parke 			parke%star.enet.dec@decwrl.dec.com
VMS Development			decwrl!star.enet.dec.com!parke

The views expressed are my own.

mmshah@athena.mit.edu (Milan M Shah) (10/30/90)

WRT SCSI + QEMM + WINDOWS + PCKWIK ... = MESS

There was an article in Infoworld (spread over two recent issues) in which
the author talked about his misadventure with SCSI. Basically, his
misadventure seemed to consist of never being able to get QEMM to work with
the Adaptec. I think he also said something to the effect of on-board ROM
on the controller possibly causing the problem. So, it seems that the
problem lies with SCSI implementations.

Milan
.

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct29.101457@star.enet.dec.com> parke@star.enet.dec.com (Bill Parke) writes:
>	The big difference is IT USED TO WORK until I optimized the disk with
>	NORTON V5.0 with SMARTDRIVE still installed (but windows was down).
>	Anything but windows works, and the mouse is ok.  Win 3 and WFW don't.
>	I have reinstalled win3 from the ground up.  I am planning to redelete
>	Win3 off my hard disk AND the mouse and see if that helps.

This is just a shot in the dark, but do you have a permanent swapfile on
your hard disk?  Norton shouldn't have moved it (since I believe it's
marked as a hidden system file, and at least V4.50 leaves those alone),
but perhaps the attributes got changed somehow.  If this is the case,
you might try running the "swapfile" program from Windows in real mode,
and see if that fixed it up.

(BTW, I've used Norton V4.50 to defrag the disk with SmartDrive installed
several times with no problem.)

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"There's a certain freedom to being completely screwed." - The Freshman

mutchler@zule.EBay.Sun.COM (Dan Mutchler) (10/31/90)

[...]

I had this problem with my SCSI, regardless of the disk caching that I
use. The PROM manufacturer gave me the following work around. In
system.ini under the [386enh] section add the following lines:

	VirtualHDIRQ=False
	EMMExclude=A000-EFFF

This seemed to fix the problem that I was experiencing.

--

Dan Mutchler                       | ARPA/Internet:  mutchler@zule.EBay.Sun.COM
Sun Federal System Engineer        | UUCP:           ...!sun!mutchler

c60c-3fz@web-1e.berkeley.edu (In Sik Rhee) (10/31/90)

Ok, now I've centralized the problems...

1> Super Pc-Kwik does not like my HD AT ALL ... I'm pretty sure it actually
	slowed down some of the processes...

2> I have to configure QEMM more correctly...  (something about a db=4
	setting in my CONFIG.SYS)

3> Yes I do have a permanent, and no, Norton does not flake with my windows

4> the central cause of the problem is the SCSI host adapter, because
	it's got its own BIOS...

my hypothesis is that QEMM wont work because it tries to loadhi stuff
	into memory in places where it will cause a conflict with the
	SCSI BIOS...  SuperPcKwik, now, that's something I'm not sure of...

Right now, I'm running windows with QEMM 5.11, without loading anything into
himem (yet), with Smartdrv...  things are back to normal (I can even compile
my windows stuff...)   tonight I'm going to try to get QEMM to load stuff
into himem... if that's a success, then my only problem is finding the
right cache program (is Hyperdisk (hypercache?) 4.0 any good?)