[comp.windows.ms] TEX for windows

ddb@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Darren Brierton) (10/22/90)

Does anyone know of a version of Latex or Tex for windows?  I know one is
available for DOS but I had in mind something where you could have one
window for the editor and another giving a WYSIWYG page dislay like
Latex on Suntools.  If there is, is it possible to cut or copy things
from the WYSIWYG window into a Word for Windows document, as I'm really
only interested in using Latex to supplement the equations field in Word
for Windows.

Thanks for your help ...

Darren.

--
Darren Brierton                                 | University of Edinburgh
UUCP:   ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!its63b!cogsci!ddb   | Centre for Cognitive Science

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (10/23/90)

This would be something like TeXtures for the MAC. I haven't heard about one
for Windows yet but would also be interested.

--
Computer Science Center		Richard Oppenheimer
University of Maryland		oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (office)

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (10/26/90)

In article <7455@umd5.umd.edu> oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) writes:
>This would be something like TeXtures for the MAC. I haven't heard about one
>for Windows yet but would also be interested.

I picked up from cica (a while ago) a file called dvimswin.arc ... a .dvi file
previewer for Win3 ... I suppose it, or a newer version would still be
available ... (it's about 50k bytes)

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (10/26/90)

In article <1378@travis.csd.harris.com> leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) writes:
>In article <7455@umd5.umd.edu> oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) writes:
>>This would be something like TeXtures for the MAC. I haven't heard about one
>>for Windows yet but would also be interested.
>
>I picked up from cica (a while ago) a file called dvimswin.arc ... a .dvi file
>previewer for Win3 ... I suppose it, or a newer version would still be
>available ... (it's about 50k bytes)

dvimswin.arc is a nice previewer, but it is still just a previewer. TeXtures
for the MAC actually is a complete TeX system that includes a previewer. It
has an editor that you can create your TeX files in and a previewer window
that shows you the results at the same time. You can see your changes
immediately (well almost).

I'm sure it will come out for Windows some day.

 --

robert@longs.LANCE.ColoState.EDU (Robert Thompson) (10/31/90)

In article <7472@umd5.umd.edu>, oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard
Oppenheimer) writes:

> dvimswin.arc is a nice previewer, but it is still just a previewer.

So where can we a copy of this ?

Thanks in advance

Robert
Center for Computer Assisted Engineering
Clorado State University