[comp.windows.ms] Word for Windows query

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (10/31/90)

> jewell@Data-IO.COM writes:
> Anybody know how to do negative leading in Word for Windows?
>
> Lets say I have two paragraphs, call them Para One and
> Para Two. When I type them in, they look like this. (for
> the purposes of this article, let the '$' character stand for
> the end of paragraph symbol.)
>
> Para One$
>
> Para Two starts here and runs on for a while, with
> out really saying anything.$
>
> However, I want to format them so they will print like this:
>
> Parag One$      Para Two starts here and runs on for
>                 a while, with out really saying anything.$
>
> Now, you might why I want to do this, well several of the manuals
> I'm working on have notes, cautions, and warnings stored in this
> fashion.
>
> Doing this sort of thing in Ventura is no problem. But I haven't
> yet figured this out in WinWord. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> (Yes, I have RTFM and it was no help.)
>
> Thanks.

     Try the table function.  Insert a table 2 columns wide and as many rows
high as you might need.  As you type inside each cell of the table, the cell
will be wedged open vertically as needed to accomodate the wrapping lines of
text.  Horizontally related cells are kept the same height.  This is a
wonderful way of having say "questions" on the left and "answers" on the right.
--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP

jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) (10/31/90)

[...]

                                   "Of course you know, this means war."
jewell@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM             -- Bugs Bunny & Saddam Hussein
{uw-beaver|uunet}!pilchuck!jewell

icsu8246@attila.cs.montana.edu (Crutcher) (10/31/90)

In article <1568@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM> jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) writes:
>Anybody know how to do negative leading in Word for Windows?

[ stuff deleted ... ]

>However, I want to format them so they will print like this:
>
>Parag One$	Para Two starts here and runs on for
>		a while, with out really saying anything.$

Word calls these side by side paragraphs.  In my Word for Windows manual
there's a whole section on side by side paragraphs.  You create them with
two column tables.  You can specifiy the width of each column,
say the first column 2" and the second 4".  Word treats each entry in
the table as a paragraph.  You can take existing paragraphs and paste
them into table fields.  Techniques like this are also handy for doing
two or three column indexes (if there's an easier way to do multi
column indexes, I'd like to know before I result to more manual digging...)

>Doing this sort of thing in Ventura is no problem. But I haven't
>yet figured this out in WinWord. Any help would be appreciated.
>
>(Yes, I have RTFM and it was no help.)

Are you sure you Read The Whole F%$@#! Manual?

Try page 325 (side by side paragraphs) and page 361 (tables) for
additional help.

>Thanks.
>--
>Cal...

Hope this helps......

                 		Paul

Paul Crutcher                            icsu8246@caesar.cs.montana.ed

I'll think of something to put here someday.......

carl@p4tustin.UUCP (Carl W. Bergerson) (11/01/90)

In article <1568@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM> jewell@Data-IO.COM (Cal Jewell) writes:
>Anybody know how to do negative leading in Word for Windows?
>
>Lets say I have two paragraphs, call them Para One and Para Two. When I type
>them in, they look like this. (for the purposes of this article, let the '$'
>character stand for the end of paragraph symbol.)
>
>Para One$
>
>Para Two starts here and runs on for a while, without really saying anything.$
>
>However, I want to format them so they will print like this:
>
>Parag One$	Para Two starts here and runs on for
>           a while, with out really saying anything.$
>
>Now, you might why I want to do this, well several of the manuals
>I'm working on have notes, cautions, and warnings stored in this fashion.

If what you are trying to do is:

Note=>   This is some really helpful information about the current
		 topic that I thought you might like to know but it didn't
		 really fit in with the flow of information.

Then, I'd suggest using negative indents. I don't have the W4W manuals
handy so I may not have used their term for the feature :-)

On the other hand if you are trying to do something like:

This is a     And this is the definition which runs on
term to be    and on and on ....
defined

I'd use W4W's table feature to handle it. This is one of the best features
of W4W, it is almost as flexible as tbl and one heck of a lot easier
to learn.

Good Luck, email me if you need more help.
Carl Bergerson               carl@point4.com             uunet!p4tustin!carl

Robert.Berry@samba.acs.unc.edu (Robert Berry) (11/01/90)

Actually, Cal, I think the easiest way to do what you want to do--if I
understand what it is you want to do--is with the Format Position command.

Set your document margins for the main text paragraphs, leaving a wide
left margin big enough to contain your headings or notes or whatever it is you
want to put out there.  Select the paragraph you want to put out to the left.
Choose Format Position, and position it, say, .5" (or whatever you want)
from the left, relative to the PAGE.  Change the paragraph width to something
small enough to fit in the margin.  Leave the vertical position as INLINE.
The selected paragraph should move over into the margin, to the left of
the main paragraph.

The best part about doing it this way is you can define a style based on that
paragraph and call it whatever you want, say, "HEADING."  Then in the future,
all you have to do is apply the style HEADING to a paragraph and it will
slide over to the left margin.