[comp.windows.ms] FAQs

Barry Bailey (10/31/90)

   I too would like to thank Tom for compiling the most often asked
   questions.

   In the interest of staying current without overwhelming
   the net with comprehensive updates, could a COMP.WINDOWS.MS.FAQS be
   established? Whoever chooses to post the most recent FAQs to this
   discussion might also post them to ...FAQs. ...FAQs would be an
   extremely low volume list, but an extremely handy archival facility.

   any thoughts, suggestions, flames...

   barry

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) (10/31/90)

In article <9848.6524.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu> Barry Bailey writes:

>   I too would like to thank Tom for compiling the most often asked
>   questions.

Ditto....

>   [Barry's idea about creating a comp.windows.ms.faqs newsgroup to
>    take care of the frequently asked questions list deleted for
>    brevity's sake...]
>
>   any thoughts, suggestions, flames...

This is not a flame, just my thoughts on the matter...  :^)

I, personally, don't think such an idea would be that useful.  Most of
the people who would ask such questions would likely not look there first
for the answers.  The best bet (though it would increase bandwidth  :^(  )
would be to just post the faq here on this list once a week.  This would
allow anyone just signing on a reasonable chance to catch the list before
it gets purged from their systems.  (Actually, considering that its main
purpose is to stop the asking of common questions, I guess it would still
be lowering total bandwidth, even after posting once a week.)  The next
step would be to find someone who would post it every weekend.  (The person
who wrote it?  Another sucke...  errr, volunteer?)

    John Keating
--
Signature, part XVII...  Coming soon, to a site near you...
    John Keating, keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (10/31/90)

John W. Keating <keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu> writes:
>>   I too would like to thank Tom for compiling the most often asked
>>   questions.

Gee, thanks ...  <blush> ...  :)

> I, personally, don't think [FAQ newsgroup] would be that useful.  Most of
> the people who would ask such questions would likely not look there first
> for the answers.  The best bet (though it would increase bandwidth  :^(  )
> would be to just post the faq here on this list once a week.

I agree with John.  It's the same kind of situation as with newbies who
will post new-user questions on comp.unix.wizards just so that "people who
know" would see them.  A regular posting in the main newsgroup is the way
to go.

> The next step would be to find someone who would post it every weekend.
> (The person who wrote it?  Another sucke...  errr, volunteer?)

Well, I was thinking of volunteering the crontab on our Unix box, at least
for now.  I'll just have to set it up first...

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/01/90)

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) writes:

>In article <9848.6524.forumexp@mts.rpi.edu> Barry Bailey writes:

>>   [Barry's idea about creating a comp.windows.ms.faqs newsgroup to
>>    take care of the frequently asked questions list deleted for
>>    brevity's sake...]
>>
>>   any thoughts, suggestions, flames...

>This is not a flame, just my thoughts on the matter...  :^)

>I, personally, don't think such an idea would be that useful.  Most of
>the people who would ask such questions would likely not look there first
>for the answers.  The best bet (though it would increase bandwidth  :^(  )
>would be to just post the faq here on this list once a week.  This would
>allow anyone just signing on a reasonable chance to catch the list before
>it gets purged from their systems.  (Actually, considering that its main
>purpose is to stop the asking of common questions, I guess it would still
>be lowering total bandwidth, even after posting once a week.)  The next
>step would be to find someone who would post it every weekend.  (The person
>who wrote it?  Another sucke...  errr, volunteer?)

I'm no Unix guru, but wouldn't it be possible to periodically post a
small notice telling folks that a FAQ list exists and how to get it
instead of posting the whole list?  Can't some sort of a mail server be
set up that automagically sends the FAQ list to anyone who mails in a
request?  The notice could include a table of contents so the new
subscribers would know what questions are answered.

This would use a lot less bandwidth than a regular posting of the full
text of the FAQ.

Just a thought...
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.140449.26514@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
   John W. Keating <keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu> writes:
   >>   I too would like to thank Tom for compiling the most often asked
   >>   questions.

   Gee, thanks ...  <blush> ...  :)

My thanks also.  One suggestion: when posting, cross-post it also to
news.newusers.questions and make the subject "Frequently asked questions
on comp.windows.ms (MicroSoft Windows group)" so that people who don't
know what FAQ means (it does sound kinda dirty, doesn't it :-) can figure
it out...

PS. Haapanen ?  Has to be Finnish.
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */

korpela@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Eric J. Korpela) (11/02/90)

In article <OTTO.90Oct31194543@tukki.jyu.fi> otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
>In article <1990Oct31.140449.26514@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>> [stuff deleted]
>PS. Haapanen ?  Has to be Finnish.

I was noticing this odd coincidence, too.  I think it's a part of Microsoft's
master plan.  After a few days of using MS Windows you somehow get a Finnish
last name.  The weirdest this is that you don't even notice the change.  Some
kind of mind control must be at work.

    /\                      korpela@sunspot.ssl.berkeley.edu      Internet
   /__\  rioch              BKYAST::KORPELA    42215::KORPELA     DecNet
  /    \   of Chaos         korpela%bkyast@ucbjade                Bitnet
 (_____________________     <aka Eric Korpela>