[comp.windows.ms] Winword Page numbering

pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) (11/01/90)

What I want:  A report with title page, roman numerals starting the
   toc and arabic numerals starting with 1 where the body starts.

What I have tried:  Editing footer adding fields.  It seems that the
   page number can only be in one mode.  i.e.  If I set to roman the
   entire document changes.

What I think:  I don't think it is possible unless I break the report
   into separate documents. (please correct me if I have overlooked something
   in the 'so called' User Reference manual.

What do you think?
              Report
                by
               pcb

                toc

                    ix

             Body asdf
                  asdf

                     1

                  asdf
                  asdf
                     2

/*----------- Thanks in advance... --------------------------------------+
| Peter C. Bahrs                                                         |
| The USL-NASA Project                                                   |
| Center For Advanced Computer Studies      INET: pcb@swamp.cacs.usl.edu |
| 2 Rex Street                                                           |
| University of Southwestern Louisiana      ...!uunet!dalsqnt!gator!pcb  |
| Lafayette, LA 70504                                                    |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------------*/

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Froot Loop) (11/01/90)

In article <17693@rouge.usl.edu> pcb@cacs.usl.edu (Peter C. Bahrs) writes:
>What I want:  A report with title page, roman numerals starting the
>   toc and arabic numerals starting with 1 where the body starts.
>
>What I have tried:  Editing footer adding fields.  It seems that the
>   page number can only be in one mode.  i.e.  If I set to roman the
>   entire document changes.

What to try next:

1.	Go to where you want the page numbering to change types (from
	roman to arabic).
2.	Insert Break... Section[Next Page]
	(the command from the Insert Menu - select Section Break:Next Page
	from the dialog box)

Repeat steps 1-2 for ALL the places you want to change numbering types

3.	Go into the first section (toc in your case, I think)
4.	Insert Page Numbers...
	(select whatever position you intend to use)
5.	Edit Header/Footer...
6.	Turn the "Different First Page" check box off, if it's on

For the next part, I'm assuming the page numbers are in the header.  If you
put them in the footer, then just edit the footer instead.

7.	Select Header from the list box and click on the Options>> button
8.	Page numbers start at... requires an integer, so if you want to
	start at iii you 'd need to input 3, not iii.
	Also select the format you want your pages numbered with
	Then click on the Ok button

Repeat steps 3-8 for all your sections, selecting the appropriate page number
and style for each section.

That should do it.  (I just tried it out on a 20-page document I had lying
around, using WFW version 1.1)

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

timur@seas.gwu.edu (The Time Traveler) (11/02/90)

You can break up your report into separate *sections*, and you can have
as many sections in a document as you want.  Make sure you have the full
menus turned on (i.e. expert menus, or whatever it's called), and insert
a break.  It should ask you what kind of break, and one of the choices
is new section.  Make sure you specify you want a new page, too.

Your daddy works in porno
Now that mommy's not around                                 timur@seas.gwu.edu
She used to love her heroin                               HE891C@GWUVM.GWU.EDU
But now she's underground              - Guns N' Roses