[comp.windows.ms] PCMag's wsmooth.exe

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (10/31/90)

I have just downloaded and started to use wsmooth.exe, a windows3 ascii
file reader.  Good program except for one very annoying thing:  they aped
the notepad and made *.txt the default for listing the contents of
directories instead of using *.*.  I was able to do a kindergarten hack
on notepad.exe to change the default of *.txt to *.* but similar attempts on
wsmooth.exe fail.  Has anybody else been successful?

			Carl Riehm

P.S.  Can you imagine anyone writing a program in which you can change the
color to any of a seemingly infinite number of choices, and not allowing
a user to change the default file listing?

tomr@ashtate (Tom Rombouts) (11/02/90)

In article <272E2703.24750@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:
>I have just downloaded and started to use wsmooth.exe, a windows3 ascii
>file reader.  Good program except for one very annoying thing:  they aped
>the notepad and made *.txt the default for listing the contents of
>directories instead of using *.*.  I was able to do a kindergarten hack
>on notepad.exe to change the default of *.txt to *.* but similar attempts on
>wsmooth.exe fail.  Has anybody else been successful?

If someone will post or e-mail the source code (which is provided in
the Nov. 13, 1990 ish of PC Mag) we can tear into it with gusto!  (I
would have keyed it in myself, but my employer prefers me to work on
things that might possibly bring in revenue  :-)  )

(Looking at the code, the change is trivial.  On page 512 on the
right column (bottom) the variables od_defspec and od_default_extension
are hard coded to "*.txt".  BTW, I don't know for sure, but it appears
that the first command line argument to WSMOOTH may be a filespec.
A quick test could confirm this in a moment.  If so, a PIF file
could be created to always start WINSMOOTH with a filespec of *.*)

Tom Rombouts  Torrance Techie  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V: (213) 538-7108

In article <1558@ashton.UUCP> tomr@ashton.UUCP (Tom Rombouts) writes:
>In article <272E2703.24750@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca> riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) writes:
>>I have just downloaded and started to use wsmooth.exe, a windows3 ascii
>>file reader.  Good program except for one very annoying thing:  they aped
>>the notepad and made *.txt the default for listing the contents of
>>directories instead of using *.*.  I was able to do a kindergarten hack
>>on notepad.exe to change the default of *.txt to *.* but similar attempts on
>>wsmooth.exe fail.  Has anybody else been successful?
>
>....BTW, I don't know for sure, but it appears
>that the first command line argument to WSMOOTH may be a filespec.

O.K., I was wrong.  Sorry.  The first command line argument is an
optional literal file name, not a file spec.  HOWEVER, I now do have
the entire source code and makefile.  (Although I have not personally
had the time to compile it.)  I would be happy to mail the soucre
(about 60K or so) to an appropriate archive site.

Tom Rombouts   Torrance Techie  tomr@ashtate.A-T.com  V:(213) 538-7108

twb@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.w.beattie) (11/02/90)

Wsmooth accepts a filename argument but won't expand wildcards! OOPS!
The *.txt default is pretty lame, particularly since it can't be changed.
---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (11/04/90)

In article <1990Nov2.144431.12478@cbnewsh.att.com> twb@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.w.beattie) writes:

>Wsmooth accepts a filename argument but won't expand wildcards! OOPS!
>The *.txt default is pretty lame, particularly since it can't be changed.
>---
>Tom Beattie
>att!hoqaa!twb
>t.w.beattie@att.com

Did you compile this yourself?  If you did, you probably need to link in
a certain object module to do the globbing.  Under MSC, I believe it's
called setargv.obj.

Neil

Neil Weisenfeld           *  University of PA -- CSE 1991  *  |\  | |    |
C.E.T.S. Network Support  *  weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu   *  | \ | | /\ |
Coordinating Consultant   *  weisen@gynko.circ.upenn.edu   *  |  \| |/  \|