[comp.windows.ms] Adobe Type Manager & Fonts

jimmills@cs.arizona.edu (James H. Mills) (11/01/90)

	I recently purchased Adobe Type Manager for Windows and was wondering
about the availability of other fonts for it.

	My question is:  "Are there any Postscript type fonts available via
ftp that are compatible with Adobe Type Manager?"  I know there is a set of
Postscript 1 fonts at cica, but they don't seem to work with ATM since they
have no tfm (font metrics) files.

	Any response would be appreciated.

James H. Mills @ caslon.arizona.edu

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John W. Keating) (11/01/90)

In article <491@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> jimmills@cs.arizona.edu (James H. Mills) writes:

>       I recently purchased Adobe Type Manager for Windows and was wondering
>about the availability of other fonts for it.

I've seen adds for ATM in some mags, and I seem to recall that they claimed
that it will also make dot-matrix printed printouts nicer looking, as well
as laser printouts.  Is this true?  Has anyone tried it?

    JWKIII
--
Signature, part XVII...  Coming soon, to a site near you...
    John Keating, keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu

nee@cf_su14.Salomon.Com (Robert Nee) (11/01/90)

>I've seen adds for ATM in some mags, and I seem to recall that they claimed
>that it will also make dot-matrix printed printouts nicer looking, as well
>as laser printouts.  Is this true?  Has anyone tried it?

Yes this is true!!   I printed out a sample page from Pagemaker at
work on a True PostScript printer and again at home on my 180 DPI
Epson dot matrix.  The results were nearly Identical!!!   Except for
the resolution difference the two pages had the same spacing, layout
fonts, and justification.  I attribute this to the fact that ATM really
is the PostScript printers font engine for the PC.  Since PS is
resolution INdependant the images were identical.

Robert Nee

YTHRROUS@MTUS5.BITNET (Roger Rouse) (11/06/90)

Warning:  If you want all 35 postscript typefaces, and you have PageMaker,
don't buy the Adobe Plus Pack.  PageMaker already has the 22 additional
font metric files you need.  Don't waste money like I did.

Question: How do I get this thing to print out on my dot matrix?  I have
both a postscript LJIII and an Epson LQ500.  When I use Winword with my
LQ500, the only fonts available are the standard printer fonts.  The
manual says NOTHING at all about this!  Argggh.

Roger Rouse
DataBase Manager
MTU Youth Programs