[comp.windows.ms] .WRI to .TXT Converter?

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (11/04/90)

][

Does anyone know if a .WRI to .TXT (straight ASCII) format converter
exists?  I can certainly see the advantages to having one.  (BTW, have
*you* ever tried running "strings" on a .WRI file?!  What a mess!) :)

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) (11/05/90)

In a recent article mr@cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:

>Does anyone know if a .WRI to .TXT (straight ASCII) format converter
>exists?  I can certainly see the advantages to having one.  (BTW, have
>*you* ever tried running "strings" on a .WRI file?!  What a mess!) :)

Unless I'm missing something in your request, you can do exactly that
by printing to a disk file.  Just use Control Panel to configure a
"generic, text only" printer to the port "FILE", select that printer,
and print.

A simpler way to get an ASCII file is to save a file from Write with the
"TEXT ONLY" box checked, but this can cause problems because the paragraphs
are written without line breaks.  Fine if you have a screen capable of
displaying 2k characters/line, but irritating for anyone else.

Joe Morris

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (11/06/90)

In <125399@linus.mitre.org> jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) writes:

>In a recent article mr@cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know if a .WRI to .TXT (straight ASCII) format converter
>>exists?  I can certainly see the advantages to having one.  (BTW, have
>>*you* ever tried running "strings" on a .WRI file?!  What a mess!) :)

>Unless I'm missing something in your request, you can do exactly that
>by printing to a disk file.  Just use Control Panel to configure a
>"generic, text only" printer to the port "FILE", select that printer,
>and print.

I could have been clearer.

What I'd like to do is read these files here on cica without having to
download the utilities to the PC just to read their docs.  (It's been
a true blessing to use "UNZIP" to read .TXT files in .ZIP files, etc.
Although .WRI files are a bit more tricky...)

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (11/06/90)

*>Does anyone know if a .WRI to .TXT (straight ASCII) format converter
*>exists?  I can certainly see the advantages to having one.  (BTW, have
*>*you* ever tried running "strings" on a .WRI file?!  What a mess!) :)

Well, the "save as" option has a button for
saving as ASCII text.

Iskandar Taib                        | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: NTAIB@AQUA.UCS.INDIANA.EDU |    Frog is Frog ala Peach
Bitnet:   NTAIB@IUBACS               !

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (11/06/90)

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) writes:

>Does anyone know if a .WRI to .TXT (straight ASCII) format converter
>exists?  I can certainly see the advantages to having one.  (BTW, have
>*you* ever tried running "strings" on a .WRI file?!  What a mess!) :)

You could always select "Save As" from the File menu and then
click the "Text Only" check box.
--
Disclaimer: Wang doesn't care about my opinions, so why should you?
Internet: <ice@jasmine.wang.COM> <ice@wang.COM>  <ice@emil.csd.uu.se>