[comp.windows.ms] TIFF to GIF or BMP

k3u@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Barry Smith) (11/06/90)

Okay.  I got a few scanned TIFF files in here and I want to make some
wallpaper.  HOW?  I have searched some FTP sites to no avail.  Also,
someone said there was a Little Mermaid BMP file on cica.cica and
I cannot find it.  Help?

-Barry

Renee@cup.portal.com (Renee Linda Roberts) (11/07/90)

There is a program called HIJAAK that will do what you want. It is NOT
shareware however.

Renee Roberts
Renee@cup.portal.com

jon@motcsd.csd.mot.com (jonathan.ma) (11/07/90)

In article <16165@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> k3u@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Barry Smith) writes:
>Okay.  I got a few scanned TIFF files in here and I want to make some
>wallpaper.  HOW?  I have searched some FTP sites to no avail.  Also,

GRAFWK46 was posted in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  It can convert many different
formats (TIFF, GIF, PCX, etc).  I used it once to convert TIFF to PCX, then
bring up Windows 3.0 Paint program to read it in, finally save it as BMP.
It handles 16 colors pictures very well, but not the 256 colors (may be I
did it wrong 8^). I'm currently using a series of Nagel's painting as my
wallpaper.  Note: the color pallettes changed somewhat, therefore, the BMP
file is slightly different than the original GIF (or TIFF).

>someone said there was a Little Mermaid BMP file on cica.cica and
>I cannot find it.  Help?

You are right.  It's not in /puc/pc/win3/bmp.  I have the index here:

BEGIN-OF-INDEX-------------------------------------------------------
Last Update:  	 Fri Sep 28 1990 at 03:36:28 PM EST

**
**  Index of Windows BitMap Files in ~ftp/pub/pc/win3/bmp
**

astro.zoo	Astronaut on Moon BitMaP (BMP) File
aztec.zoo	Aztec Pattern BMP
batlogo.zoo	Batman Logo BMP
bmpfiles.zip	A Collection of BMPs (nothing great)
bugs.zip	Bugs BMP
coyote.zip	Wylie Coyote Holding a Genius Sign BMP
daisy.zip	Daisy Duck .BMP (multi-tile)
donald.zip	Donald Duck .BMP (multi-tile)
dt1.zip		Dick Tracy BMP
dt2.zip		Dick Tracy BMP
dt3.zip		Dick Tracy BMP
earchis.zoo	Earth Shot from Moon BMP
ega-wallpaper.zip	640x350x16 Scanned Sample BMP
elephnts.zip	Elephants .BMP
gif2bmp.zip	*.GIF to BitMap File Converter Util (non-Win App)
goofy.zip	Goofy At Bat BMP
hendrix.zip	Jimi Hendrix's ``Are You Experienced..." Album Cover BMP
homer.zip	Homer Simpson BMP
jupiter.zip	BMP of Jupiter
maggie.zip	Maggie Simpson BMP
mandel.zip	Mandelbrot Set BMP
opustuba.zip	Opus Dressed as a Punker Tuba Player BMP
smash.zip       Bloom County/Opus BMP (16 color)
tilesbmps.arc	Various .BMP Files (cafe*, noapple, smile, etc.)
unicorn.zoo	Unicorn.BMP
vga-wallpaper.zip	Example of VGA wallpaper (BMP)
wallmac.zoo	Two BMPs that look like Macintosh Screens.
wet-t.zip	Wet T-Shirt BMP File
yoda.zip	Yoda BMP

[other directories deleted]

--
-Jon-		Jonathan Ma, Motorola, Commerical Systems Division
		Phone: (408) 366-4191  FAX: (408) 366-4125