[comp.windows.ms] Scaling Problem in going from paintbrush->word, help!

us293895@mmm.serc.3m.com (Robert G. Kaires) (10/31/90)

I am using Paintbrush which comes in Windows 3.0. I cut a picture
in Paintbrush, putting it into the clipboard. I then enter Word for
Windows, and paste. The problem is this: the apparent size of the pasted
graphic come in two sizes (one about 50% of the other). This seems to
happen at random (we can't seem to reproduce this error at will). It
appears to have something to do with copying and moving parts of the
graphic in Paintbrush. In Word, the format picture command claims that
the actual size and scaling are identical, yet they are of different
size on the screen AND are of different size when printed out. Has
anyone seen a problem like this? Any suggestions appreciated.

Bob Kaires

kensy@microsoft.UUCP (Ken SYKES) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Oct30.235715.5712@mmm.serc.3m.com> us293895@mmm.serc.3m.com (Robert G. Kaires) writes:
>I am using Paintbrush which comes in Windows 3.0. I cut a picture
>in Paintbrush, putting it into the clipboard. I then enter Word for
>Windows, and paste. The problem is this: the apparent size of the pasted
>graphic come in two sizes (one about 50% of the other). This seems to
>happen at random (we can't seem to reproduce this error at will). It
>appears to have something to do with copying and moving parts of the
>graphic in Paintbrush. In Word, the format picture command claims that
>the actual size and scaling are identical, yet they are of different
>size on the screen AND are of different size when printed out. Has
>anyone seen a problem like this? Any suggestions appreciated.
>
>Bob Kaires

This isn't a random problem.  Bitmaps can have dimension information
associated with them, and Paintbrush supplies this information for bitmaps
placed on the clipboard.  Problem is, color images are converted to black
and white BUT the dimension information is not transferred.  Word
doesn't make a copy if the clipboard image is already black and white.

So, if you put black and white images in the clipboard they will size
properly.  This bug occurs in both WFW and Write.

Ken Sykes
Disclaimer: The above opinions are solely my own.