[comp.windows.ms] Warning: Sounder and ATM conflict

aaron@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Aaron Wallace) (11/02/90)

Since I wrote and posted it, I guess it's only fair that I be the bearer of bug
news.  There's something wrong with either Sounder or ATM (my money is on the
latter) that causes UNRECOVERABLE-type errors--I found one when trying to set
the point size in Winword with ATM loaded and running.  The strange thing is
I had sounder in my load= line, but after that it should have went bye-bye.
Heapwalker doesn't show any traces of DSOUND (the .DLL Sounder uses), but I'd
still bet that something bad is happening when the DLL is finally kicked out.
Oh, well...

I also noticed that Legacy dies when ATM is loaded--it can't even get a window
up before UNRECOVERABLE...  appears.

Other than that, ATM looks quite good.  The speed is certainly acceptable, the
quality (on my 9-pin Epson) passable, and the screen fonts (with a one-pixel
exception in the 'e' for 12-point Times on a Herc) are quite good.

Aaron Wallace

ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Chris Newbold) (11/02/90)

In <1990Nov2.054213.15361@portia.Stanford.EDU> aaron@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Aaron Wallace) writes:

>Since I wrote and posted it, I guess it's only fair that I be the bearer of bug
>news.  There's something wrong with either Sounder or ATM (my money is on the
>latter) that causes UNRECOVERABLE-type errors--I found one when trying to set
>the point size in Winword with ATM loaded and running.  The strange thing is
>I had sounder in my load= line, but after that it should have went bye-bye.
>Heapwalker doesn't show any traces of DSOUND (the .DLL Sounder uses), but I'd
>still bet that something bad is happening when the DLL is finally kicked out.
>Oh, well...

>I also noticed that Legacy dies when ATM is loaded--it can't even get a window
>up before UNRECOVERABLE...  appears.

>Other than that, ATM looks quite good.  The speed is certainly acceptable, the
>quality (on my 9-pin Epson) passable, and the screen fonts (with a one-pixel
>exception in the 'e' for 12-point Times on a Herc) are quite good.

Well, I've found some trouble with ATM, too. I just installed it today, and
after only a couple of hours with WfW, I had gone through four "Unrecoverable"
errors, all of which completely hung my system.

Note that I'm not using Sounder at all, as I'm running in 386 ENH. mode.
I'm rather dissapointed. Windows 3.0, and all of my software under it, have
been steady-as-a-rock since I installed 3.0 back in June.  Now, I can no
longer laugh a Mac users who's systems go "boom" (literally) all of the time.
Ahhh, well. I guess I'll have to choose between nice-looking screen and
printer fonts and a stable system.  I hope they fix some of these bugs
soon... ...I really would *love* to have both...

-Chris

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (11/04/90)

Chris Newbold <ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu> writes:
> Well, I've found some trouble with ATM, too. I just installed it today, and
> after only a couple of hours with WfW, I had gone through four "Unrecoverable"
> errors, all of which completely hung my system.  [...]
> Ahhh, well. I guess I'll have to choose between nice-looking screen and
> printer fonts and a stable system.  I hope they fix some of these bugs
> soon... ...I really would *love* to have both...

But there *IS* another choice --- FaceLift!  :)  I've been using FaceLift for
a month now, and no errors.  The only problems I've had have been related to
running Excel 2.0 in real mode (someday my 2.1 update will arrive...).

The other advantage of FaceLift is that it allows you to pregenerate soft
fonts for a LaserJet for faster printing.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (Richard Oppenheimer) (11/09/90)

I have had no problems between WINWORD and ATM as far as UNRECOVERABLE
ERRORs go. There is a little inconvienence in that after a change to
ATM takes place (add/delete fonts) you must not only restart windows, but
also re-setup the printer from within the application you wish to use.

--
Computer Science Center		Richard Oppenheimer
University of Maryland		oppenhei@umd5.umd.edu (office)

In article <1990Nov3.194735.27316@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>But there *IS* another choice --- FaceLift!  :)  I've been using FaceLift for
>a month now, and no errors.  The only problems I've had have been related to
>running Excel 2.0 in real mode (someday my 2.1 update will arrive...).
>
>The other advantage of FaceLift is that it allows you to pregenerate soft
>fonts for a LaserJet for faster printing.

And so does ATM. You can pregenerate any fonts that you would like and store
them on your hard disk. Very good for frequently used fonts; it speeds up the
printing task. I have been using ATM for about a month now without any problems.
I use it with WFW 1.1, Charisma 2.0, Excel 2.1d, Write, and Paint. I can't wait
to use it with Illustrator when the Windows 3.0 upgrade comes out.