[comp.windows.ms] Microsoft C++ for windows?

yeates@motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) (11/07/90)

Does Microsoft plan to bring out a C++ compiler which can be used
to write windows applications?  If not I'd like to start a rumour
in the hope that they will! ;^)

I figure the idea must have occured to them, so, shall I wait, or
shall I buy Borland's Turbo C++ 2.0 instead?! (No windows support I
pressume). I liked Turbo C, so I'm tempted.

spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) (11/07/90)

In article <5096@iron6.UUCP> yeates@motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) writes:
>Does Microsoft plan to bring out a C++ compiler which can be used
>to write windows applications?  If not I'd like to start a rumour
>in the hope that they will! ;^)
>
>I figure the idea must have occured to them, so, shall I wait, or
>shall I buy Borland's Turbo C++ 2.0 instead?! (No windows support I
>pressume). I liked Turbo C, so I'm tempted.

MSC7 will be C++.
This is a secret so don't tell anyone I told you.

Joel Spolsky
spolsky@cs.yale.edu

rowley@vaxwaller.UUCP (David Rowley) (11/08/90)

In article <27119@cs.yale.edu>, spolsky-joel@cs.yale.edu (Joel Spolsky) writes:
> In article <5096@iron6.UUCP> yeates@motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) writes:
> >Does Microsoft plan to bring out a C++ compiler which can be used
> >to write windows applications?  [...]
>
> MSC7 will be C++.
> This is a secret so don't tell anyone I told you.

...but you will have to wait for MSC7.1 before it works.

(And this is no secret, either!)

jxxl@huxley.cs.nps.navy.mil (John Locke) (11/08/90)

In article <> yeates@motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) writes:

> I figure the idea must have occured to them, so, shall I wait, or
> shall I buy Borland's Turbo C++ 2.0 instead?! (No windows support I
> pressume). I liked Turbo C, so I'm tempted.

Borland has announced plans for an update to Turbo C++ that includes
support for Windows development. First half of '91 is the time frame.

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (11/08/90)

In article <5096@iron6.UUCP< yeates@motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) writes:
<Does Microsoft plan to bring out a C++ compiler which can be used
<to write windows applications?  If not I'd like to start a rumour
<in the hope that they will! ;^)

Some supporting evidence for this rumour are the large number of postings
to the c++ newsgroups by Microsoft personal in the last six months.
--
 ___Mark S. Lord__________________________________________
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |

al1@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Carl Engman) (11/10/90)

Microsoft is in fact working on C++. It will be released as Microsoft C 7.0.
I got this from Microsoft when I was there a few weeks ago.  It will be
c++ version 2.1.  It will have Codeview integrated into the environment.
No need to start a rumor, the rumor has been around for a long time.
Microsoft has been working on C++ for over two years. They admit they
have had a hard time with it.

al1

UUCP: {amdahl!bungia, crash}!orbit!pnet51!al1
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!al1@nosc.mil
INET: al1@pnet51.orb.mn.org

bright@nazgul.UUCP (Walter Bright) (11/11/90)

In article <5096@iron6.UUCP> yeates@motcid.UUCP (Tony J Yeates) writes:
/Does Microsoft plan to bring out a C++ compiler which can be used
/to write windows applications?
/I figure the idea must have occured to them, so, shall I wait, or
/shall I buy Borland's Turbo C++ 2.0 instead?! (No windows support I
/pressume).

Or you can check out Zortech's C++ compiler which has supported
Windows development for the past year. Call 800-848-8408 if you
need more information, or email me.