[comp.windows.ms] ATI 600x480x256 driver still buggy

trljim@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (James Sonnenmeier) (11/11/90)

The AIT VGA Wonder 256 color Windows 3.0  drivers dated 11/5/90 still
have the same bug as that dated 10/30/90.  I have version V3 bios and
when you move the mouse to the top of a window it splits the screen into
two windows .. unlike others who had this problem tho .. my two scrrens are
NOT recognizable .. they are very distorted.  I'm specifically talking
about the 600x480x256 driver.

Anyone still having problems .. I got the drivers from cica.cica.indiana.edu

it was strange in that it was an archive within an archive ..

oh well .. I hope they are still working on it.

Jim Sonnenmeier                  !
TRLJIM@UBVMS.BITNET  : BITNET    !    :-)
[72361,2133]  : CompuServe       !    I like to think that time and space
University at Buffalo            !    are ours to use :) ... The sky is my
Department of Mechanical/        !    joy, the wind is my lift.
Aerospace Engineering            !

peter@miller.cs.uwm.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) (11/11/90)

In article <45460@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> trljim@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>The AIT VGA Wonder 256 color Windows 3.0  drivers dated 11/5/90 still
>have the same bug as that dated 10/30/90.  I have version V3 bios and
>when you move the mouse to the top of a window it splits the screen into
>two windows .. unlike others who had this problem tho .. my two scrrens are
>NOT recognizable .. they are very distorted.  I'm specifically talking
>about the 600x480x256 driver.
>
>Anyone still having problems .. I got the drivers from cica.cica.indiana.edu
>

>it was strange in that it was an archive within an archive ..
>
>oh well .. I hope they are still working on it.

I have tried both 640x480x256 and 800x600x256 drivers dated 11/05/90
which I downloaded from cica.cica.indiana.edu and have had no problems
with either.  I don't run them normally because they are to slow
in my 8Mhz 286.   But I did try them while running some games and
had no problems.

University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee             USMAIL:  Peter J. Diaz de Leon
Computer Science Department                              7411 W. Warnimont Ave
                                                         Milwaukee, WI. 53220
ARPA: peter@cvax.cs.uwm.edu                     Daytime: (414)229-3886

ajai@sce.carleton.ca (Ajai Sehgal) (11/12/90)

peter@miller.cs.uwm.edu (Peter J Diaz de Leon) writes:

>In article <45460@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> trljim@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>The AIT VGA Wonder 256 color Windows 3.0  drivers dated 11/5/90 still
>>have the same bug as that dated 10/30/90.  I have version V3 bios and
>>when you move the mouse to the top of a window it splits the screen into
>>two windows .. unlike others who had this problem tho .. my two scrrens are
>>NOT recognizable .. they are very distorted.  I'm specifically talking
>>about the 600x480x256 driver.
>>
>>Anyone still having problems .. I got the drivers from cica.cica.indiana.edu
>>

>>it was strange in that it was an archive within an archive ..
>>
>>oh well .. I hope they are still working on it.
>>

>I have tried both 640x480x256 and 800x600x256 drivers dated 11/05/90
>which I downloaded from cica.cica.indiana.edu and have had no problems
>with either.  I don't run them normally because they are to slow
>in my 8Mhz 286.   But I did try them while running some games and
>had no problems.

The problems occur in 386 enhanced mode only. I haven't had the window
splitting problen described above but I have been getting sporadic colour
drop out ( ie the colour change icon in control panel changes to all red
and grey scale wall paper no longer is grey but has splotches of solid
blue and reds in it). These problems are very rare and were solved by a reboot.
They didn't come back which leads me to believe that they were caused by a
combination of circumstances ( ie when I redefined a new wallpaper after
coming back from a high graphics full screen DOS app). The "bug" that has
caused me to  go back to 16 colour driver is the inability of the 256 colour
driver to keep up with a 2400 baud terminal connection for screen updates.
The terminal eventually freezes (I'm using WIN QVT 4.36) and I have to hang up
and re log in.

Ajai