[comp.windows.ms] Help! Mac Programmer wants to do Windows!

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (11/11/90)

I'm a Mac Programmer (no flames, please!) who wants to write for
the Windows environment.  I'm hoping someone will give me some
pointers for:

Best development system (i.e. compiler):  Do I have to get C?  Can I get
Pascal?  What is Microsoft's SDK - Does it come with most compilers or
is it a separate purchase?  Is it available cheap from mail order?
Note: I prefer Pascal, but I can do C.  Looking for any recommendations.

References/Documentation:  There must be a Windows version of "Inside Mac."
If there are any good intro books, please feel free to recommend those.
(By intro books, I mean something beyond "this is a bitmap...
but easier to read than a straight list of system calls.

Programming Tools: I have no idea what's available, but if you tell me
what you think is indispensible...

If this information is already compiled into a "most often asked question
list," my apologies, but I did read through about 240 messages and
didn't find this kind of thread.

Thanks for any help,

-Owen

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (11/13/90)

In article <56026@brunix.UUCP> omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) writes:
>I'm a Mac Programmer (no flames, please!) who wants to write for
>the Windows environment.  I'm hoping someone will give me some
>pointers for:
>
>Best development system (i.e. compiler):  Do I have to get C?  Can I get
>Pascal?  What is Microsoft's SDK - Does it come with most compilers or
>is it a separate purchase?  Is it available cheap from mail order?
>Note: I prefer Pascal, but I can do C.  Looking for any recommendations.
>
>References/Documentation:  There must be a Windows version of "Inside Mac."
>If there are any good intro books, please feel free to recommend those.
>(By intro books, I mean something beyond "this is a bitmap...
>but easier to read than a straight list of system calls.
>
>Programming Tools: I have no idea what's available, but if you tell me
>what you think is indispensible...
>
>If this information is already compiled into a "most often asked question
>list," my apologies, but I did read through about 240 messages and
>didn't find this kind of thread.
>
>Thanks for any help,
>
>-Owen
>
>Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
>Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
>					uunet!brunix!omh
>"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

You need the SDK which has the libraries and resource compiler necessary to
make Windows programs. It also comes with debugging tools and a font and icon
editor.

You need a separate C compiler as well. Currently only Microsoft C and Zortech
C++ (that I know of) support generating code that is compatible with windows.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254