[comp.windows.ms] 128 char limit in load= line?

jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) (11/13/90)

Microsoft seems to have this thing with 128-character limits.  I think I've
stumbled across this limit in the WIN.INI file.  I added another program
to the "load=" line (bringing the total up to around 6).  When I restarted
Windows, I got a couple of "Unable to find file..." messages.  After some
fiddling around, I discovered that cutting down the length of the line
would fix it (most of the programs have absolute paths specified... I
finally just removed the ".exe" from all the names).

Anyway, I'm going to have a problem next time I try to add a program
to my load line.  Does anyone know of a way around this limitation?

--
Jim Seidman (Drax), the accidental engineer.
"It doesn't have to work... they'll be paralyzed just from laughing at me."

jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Ferreira Tinto) (11/13/90)

In article <5735@hsv3.UUCP> jls@hsv3.UUCP (James Seidman) writes:
>Microsoft seems to have this thing with 128-character limits.  I think I've
>stumbled across this limit in the WIN.INI file.  I added another program
>to the "load=" line (bringing the total up to around 6).  When I restarted
>Windows, I got a couple of "Unable to find file..." messages.  After some
>fiddling around, I discovered that cutting down the length of the line
>would fix it (most of the programs have absolute paths specified... I
>finally just removed the ".exe" from all the names).
>
>Anyway, I'm going to have a problem next time I try to add a program
>to my load line.  Does anyone know of a way around this limitation?

Just a thought (and perhaps a question on my part):
how about a second load= line?
Would that work?

 Jan Vilhuber            | Internet: jvilhube@du.edu or jvilhube@[130.253.1.4]
 (The jammin' Bass)      | Bitnet  : jvilhube@DUCAIR
"Drunken Milkman...driving drunk...Family of four,
family no more...milk and blood...blood and milk."  Scatterbrain