[comp.windows.ms] Bugs in General

bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson) (11/13/90)

In article <126043@linus.mitre.org> jcmorris@mwunix.mitre.org (Joe Morris) writes:
>:soapbox
>
>I, too, would love to be able to purchase a product and know that every
>problem would be fixed at no charge to me for a long time.  Economic
>reality, however, makes this rather unlikely.

<much deleted>
>To put it another way, TANSTAAFL.
<more deleted>

>:esoapbox

Good gawd this sounds familiar!  Kind of like the auto industry explaining
why new cars are buggy (can't afford to get ALL the problems out, just
take that sucker back to the dealer for a week and we'll look at it, after
a few months, you pay for it).  Someone then came along and took most of
the business away from these auto companies.

This kind of complacency and "can't be done - it's economically not
possible" seems embedded in parts of our industry.  I didn't think the
software field had this kind of mindset.  In fact, I always felt our
"yeah, we can do it" approach was at the root of our software problems.
Maybe the real underlying problem is the inability to stretch beyond
what we think we already know.

I would hate to lose software too.

* Bruce Benson                   + Internet  - bwb@sei.cmu.edu +       +
* Software Engineering Institute + Compuserv - 76226,3407      +    >--|>
* Carnegie Mellon University     + Voice     - 412 268 8469    +       +
* Pittsburgh PA 15213-3890       +                             +  US Air Force