[comp.windows.ms] Terminal Emulation Problem

FJM1@psuvm.psu.edu (Frank Mulhern) (11/13/90)

I am trying to use the Terminal communications program what comes with Windows.
I can get hooked up to the mainframe just fine.  But the emulation isn't
working.  I tell Windows and the mainframe that I want to emulate a VT100.  I
have a Gateway 2000.  The problem is I can't use the arrow keys to move around
the screen!  Has anybody resolved this problem?  Thank You.

        Frank Mulhern   Department of Marketing
                        Penn State 814-865-0232    FJM1 @ PSUVM

wilker@descartes.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (11/13/90)

How does one get the terminal emulation program to connect
at 8 bits/1 stop/no parity, and strip the incoming chars of
bit 8, but not on xmodem/kermit transfers?
Clarence Wilkerson

jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Ferreira Tinto) (11/13/90)

In article <90316.121213FJM1@psuvm.psu.edu> FJM1@psuvm.psu.edu (Frank Mulhern) writes:
>I am trying to use the Terminal communications program what comes with Windows.
>I can get hooked up to the mainframe just fine.  But the emulation isn't
>working.  I tell Windows and the mainframe that I want to emulate a VT100.  I
>have a Gateway 2000.  The problem is I can't use the arrow keys to move around
>the screen!  Has anybody resolved this problem?  Thank You.

It is my guess (I could be wrong) that you will have to re-edit
the control codes. Either verify,. that the codes sent by the terminal
prog are the ones the main frame expects, or tell the main frame,
what codes to expect.
That was pretty vague. Anybody else wanna help out?

 Jan Vilhuber            | Internet: jvilhube@du.edu or jvilhube@[130.253.1.4]
 (The jammin' Bass)      | Bitnet  : jvilhube@DUCAIR
"Drunken Milkman...driving drunk...Family of four,
family no more...milk and blood...blood and milk."  Scatterbrain

marshall@wind55.seri.gov (Marshall L. Buhl) (11/14/90)

FJM1@psuvm.psu.edu (Frank Mulhern) writes:

>I am trying to use the Terminal communications program what comes with Windows.
>I can get hooked up to the mainframe just fine.  But the emulation isn't
>working.  I tell Windows and the mainframe that I want to emulate a VT100.  I
>have a Gateway 2000.  The problem is I can't use the arrow keys to move around
>the screen!  Has anybody resolved this problem?  Thank You.

Sigh...  I guess Tom needs to add this to his FAQ article.  (Hi Tom!)

The <Scroll Lock> key toggles between local and remote mode.  The
default is local mode.  And no, I don't think this is documented in the
manual.
--
Marshall L. Buhl, Jr.                EMAIL: marshall@seri.gov
Senior Computer Missionary           VOICE: (303)231-1014

wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) (11/14/90)

From article <1990Nov13.024758.26320@mercury.cair.du.edu>, by jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Ferreira Tinto):
> In article <90316.121213FJM1@psuvm.psu.edu> FJM1@psuvm.psu.edu (Frank Mulhern) writes:
>>The problem is I can't use the arrow keys to move around
>>the screen!  Has anybody resolved this problem?  Thank You.
>>
> It is my guess (I could be wrong) that you will have to re-edit
> the control codes.

I had a number of problems with the terminal program that comes
with Windows.  The first problem is that the documentation sucks!
No where does it really tell you how the keys are translated.  Yes,
there is a chart in the appendix.  But, it doesn't tell what some
very special keys do, like the scroll lock key.  The arrow and
function keys perform differently when the scroll lock is on and
off.  Try using the scroll lock when the keys don't do what you
think they should.

Good Luck!

Let sleeping dragons lie........               | The RoleMancer
Bill Wilson             (Bitnet: ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)
Northern AZ Univ  Flagstaff, AZ 86011