[comp.windows.ms] 800 x 600 fonts anyone?

twb@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.w.beattie) (11/15/90)

In article <1990Nov12.195937.1705@bigsur.uucp>, mussar@bcars53.uucp (G. Mussar) writes:
> In article <421@aupair.cs.athabascau.ca> kevinc@cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Crocker) writes:
> >O.K., now that I'm using the 800 by 600 by 256 drivers all I get is an
> >incredibly small screen font -- i.e. it seems to use the regular vga
> >fonts.  I installed the 8514 fonts but they really hash up all the
> >software -- nothing comes out properly and even though the letters are
> >readable they tend to get chopped off at the right hand side.

It seems that ProgMan uses the HELVE font for labeling icons.
I found that commenting out the Helv line from the [fonts] section of win.ini
forces Win3 to select a different and larger, more readable font for ProgMan.
I don't know why exactly.
BTW, the comment char for win.ini is the semi-colon (;).

Questions:
    1. What is the relationship between fonts specified in the system.ini
       and those listed in win.ini?
    2. What font is used in the title bar, in a DOS window, in FileMan, etc.?
    3. Is there a way to force a particular font (and size) for any of the
       above?

---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb