[comp.windows.ms] Crazy mouse after running DOS in full screen

nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) (11/14/90)

Greetings fellow Windows users:

When I run COMMAND.COM from Win3.0 (via the DOS icon), it fires up in
full-window mode.  Things are ok, until I exit from COMMAND.COM, and go
back into windows, or until I press Alt-Enter, which puts COMMAND.COM into
a window.  At that point, the mouse is crazy.  I have to move it a LOT to
get the pointer (mouse cursor) to move at all, and then it jumps around the
screen in random fashion.  This persists until I exit windows, which I do
from the keyboard by typing Alt-F X.  Then, if I immediately fire up
windows again, the mouse is fine until I run COMMAND.COM.

I have the same problem with ANY non-windows DOS application that fires up
in full-screen mode.  I made a PIF file for COMMAND.COM, and changed it to
fire up in a window (instead of full screen mode) with emulated text mode.
Dos runs in a window just fine, but if I then type ALT-ENTER to go to full
screen mode, and then exit or go back to window mode, again my mouse is
crazy.  Basically, going to full-screen mode is what loses my mouse.

Configuration:
	All hardware is one year old, with no problems before using Windows.
	386DX clone with 4 MB RAM.  Board by COPO systems.  AMI BIOS.
	150 MB ESDI disk, WD1007-WA2 controller, On-track Disk-Manager driver.
	2 serial ports,
		COM1 = modem,
		COM2 = Logitech serial mouse (actually a Trackman).
	Genoa 6400 SVGA w/ 512 KB RAM,
		using 640x480x256 windows driver from Genoa. NO BUGS YET!
	SONY 1304 HG monitor, non-interlaced.

I have NO TSRs loaded, and the only device drivers are the ones that come
with Windows, (e.g. himem.sys et al) and TDH386.SYS (for Turbo Debugger).
Obviously, I don't use TD386 while in windows.  I don't have any Logitech
mouse drivers loaded (wither as TSRs or as device drivers).

My best guess is that the COM2 serial mouse port is getting goofed up.
But, I suppose it could conceivably be the VGA driver.
Is it worth my time to try to call MicroSoft's help number?
If you have any ideas, please reply.  Send email to nelson@sgi.com

Since someone in this newsgroup asked about the Genoa 6400 board, I'll say
the Genoa 6400 board is VERY FAST, does non-interlaced video at 70 HZ even
in top resolution; and has 800x600x256 drivers for some applications.
My AMI BIOS move the GENOA VGA BIOS into RAM and it SCREAMS (fast).
Unfortunately, for Windows 3.0 drivers, they offer only 640x480x256,
800x600x16 and 1024x768x16, but not 800x600x256.  Since they use their own
chip set, you have to get device drivers and program drivers from them.
Very few software companies offer drivers for the Genoa 6x00 boards.
Nelson Bolyard  nelson@sgi.COM  {decwrl,sun}!sgi!whizzer!nelson  415-335-1919
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein do not represent the views of my employer.

dubs_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (/* Jeremy DuBois */) (11/15/90)

In <1990Nov14.051545.21285@odin.corp.sgi.com> nelson@bolyard.wpd.sgi.com (Nelson Bolyard) writes:

> Things are ok, until I exit from COMMAND.COM, and go
>back into windows, or until I press Alt-Enter, which puts COMMAND.COM into
>a window.  At that point, the mouse is crazy.  I have to move it a LOT to
>get the pointer (mouse cursor) to move at all, and then it jumps around the
>screen in random fashion.  This persists until I exit windows, which I do
>from the keyboard by typing Alt-F X.  Then, if I immediately fire up
>windows again, the mouse is fine until I run COMMAND.COM.

  I noticed the same problem with my mouse, but only when running Procomm+
in full screen mode, and then Alt-Enter'ing it into a window.  I have not
noticed any similarity in our hardware configurations... I'm running a
Mouse Systems PC-Mouse in COM1, and an Orchid ProDesigner II on an
EPS 386/25.

 _____
/ Jer \
| dubs_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu | Univeristy of Rochester, New York |