[comp.windows.ms] Trial and Tribulations of using PC-NFS and Windows3

bashir@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (Noushin Bashir) (11/15/90)

From: blu@millipore.com (Brian Utterback)

>I am trying to install PC-NFS and Lifeline on a PC that is running MS-Windows3.
>I've got the virtual disks mounting okay, printing is okay, so now I am moving
>on to LifeLine.  I installed Lifeline and it seemed to be working okay, so I
>then created a network shared White-Pages.  I used llconf to configure the
>White-Pages and then went into mail to try it out.  No problem so far except
>that while reading mail the subject line is displayed in an unreadable white
>on yellow.  I sent a message and then the system locked up.  After rebooting,
>any attempt to run mail under the DOS Prompt window results in windows crashing
>and throwing me back to the Dos prompt.  I tried to do a couple of exits in
>case I was in a shell, but no such luck.

I had the same experience when running Interleaf on a 386 w/Wyse7190
monitor. The problem appears to happen when one receives mail from
another PC( when a window pops up to inform you of an incoming mail ).
I think it has something to do with the type of the monitor you are
using. There doesn't seem to be a way of disabling this informing
window (I called up PC-NFS Tech. support, and they said there is no
way to do so).

Also, I wonder if your mail system is configured for SMTP Model and not
POP. If so, try setting up your mail using POP model, and see what
happens.  I didn't have any luck using either model on the PC
w/Wyse7190. However, everything is fine on a VGA monitor.

					Cheers,
					Noushin

--
what you do and what you say
do you know the difference anyway             -INXS