[comp.windows.ms] Paradise VGAPlus, 256 colors

jrobi@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James Barton) (11/12/90)

I'v got a C&T NEAT 20 MHz '286 with a Paradise VGAPlus 16 bit, 256 k
card driving a Sony CPD-1302 Multi-Scan monitor and I want 256
colors in Windows.  Every time I try, I see the Windows welcome
screen and then video garbage in which I can just make out the
hourglass and mouse pointer and from which I can exit gracefully
with keyboard commands.  I've tried the new Windows drivers on WD's
Paradise bullitin board and read all of the docs and readmes I can
get my hands on, but still no luck.  One of the readme files that
came with the card mentions that in 640x480x256 mode the card does
not have enough memory and will use some system memory to make up
the difference, but not where it needs to find this memory.  I'm
stumped.  Thanks.

ciao

James B.

tris@alzabo.uucp (Tris Orendorff) (11/13/90)

jrobi@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James Barton) writes:

>I'v got a C&T NEAT 20 MHz '286 with a Paradise VGAPlus 16 bit, 256 k
>card driving a Sony CPD-1302 Multi-Scan monitor and I want 256
>colors in Windows.  Every time I try, I see the Windows welcome
>screen and then video garbage in which I can just make out the
>hourglass and mouse pointer and from which I can exit gracefully
>with keyboard commands.  I've tried the new Windows drivers on WD's
>Paradise bullitin board and read all of the docs and readmes I can
>get my hands on, but still no luck.  One of the readme files that
>came with the card mentions that in 640x480x256 mode the card does
>not have enough memory and will use some system memory to make up
>the difference, but not where it needs to find this memory.  I'm
>stumped.  Thanks.

Since you only have the 256K version of the Paradise card, the largest
screen you can do is 640x400x256.  I don't know when this driver will
come out.
I have never been able to get the 640x480x256 driver to work on a 256K card.
Not even when there was several extra megabytes of memory available to
windows.

--
				Sincerely Yours
				Tris Orendorff

 LADY BRACKNELL:  He seems to have had great confidence in the opinion
                 of his physicians.

phil@brahms.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (11/15/90)

In article <39521@ut-emx.uucp> jrobi@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James Barton) writes:
|One of the readme files that
|came with the card mentions that in 640x480x256 mode the card does
|not have enough memory and will use some system memory to make up
|the difference, but not where it needs to find this memory.

I don't see how this can be possible. Most likely you are
misinterpreting something.

--
KristallNacht: why every Jew should own an assault rifle.