[comp.windows.ms] BackMenu dosen't really remove itself

fc173108@seas.gwu.edu (Iqbal Qazi) (11/06/90)

I have a small problem in regards to the program backmenu, available
from cica.  The program works fine (for those of you who don't know
what it does, it allows a user definable menu to pop up when you press
the right mouse button in the workspace, i.e. not in any window).

The problem I have is that when I choose to remove it from memory, it
really dosen't remove itself.  Clicking again on the icon tells me
that "Backmenu is already running" and hDC MicroApps Memory Viewer
still shows it as being in memory.

How can I remove this bad boy from memory?  Or restart it after
"removing it from memory"?

Thanks for any info,

Iqbal

ih@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Ian Heath) (11/14/90)

In <2306@sparko.gwu.edu> fc173108@seas.gwu.edu (Iqbal Qazi) writes:

>I have a small problem in regards to the program backmenu, available
>from cica.  The program works fine (for those of you who don't know
>what it does, it allows a user definable menu to pop up when you press
>the right mouse button in the workspace, i.e. not in any window).

>The problem I have is that when I choose to remove it from memory, it
>really dosen't remove itself.  Clicking again on the icon tells me
>that "Backmenu is already running" and hDC MicroApps Memory Viewer
>still shows it as being in memory.

>How can I remove this bad boy from memory?  Or restart it after
>"removing it from memory"?

>Thanks for any info,

>Iqbal

	Ok, I'm sorry! The removal/reload case was one that I assumed
would work and so didn't bother to test (and I call myself a
programmer).

	Anyway, I've fixed the problem, and will upload a new version
to cica asap. I've also restructured the program so it should work ok
on EMS systems (but again I've not been able to test this fully as all
our machines run in 386 mode). Flame me if it doesn't work still.

Ian

fc173108@seas.gwu.edu (Iqbal Qazi) (11/15/90)

In article <5189@ecs.soton.ac.uk> ih@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Ian Heath) writes:
>In <2306@sparko.gwu.edu> fc173108@seas.gwu.edu (Iqbal Qazi) writes:

[ me telling how BackMenu dosen't really remove itself from memory
  deleted]

>	Ok, I'm sorry! The removal/reload case was one that I assumed
>would work and so didn't bother to test (and I call myself a
>programmer).
>
>	Anyway, I've fixed the problem, and will upload a new version
>to cica asap. I've also restructured the program so it should work ok
>on EMS systems (but again I've not been able to test this fully as all
>our machines run in 386 mode). Flame me if it doesn't work still.

Well, I don't know about BackMenu anymore.  After switching to real
mode (from enhanced, to use Excel) Windows would die:  Everything in
my load= line would be loaded *except backmenu* and I would get an
hourglass pointer permanently.  Note this only happened in real
mode, backmenu works in 386 mode fine (except for the previous
problem).

Well, I tried running backmenu directly, and it would freeze up again,
so I've killed backmenu completely and am waiting to get this new
version to see what's it does.

Iqbal